moving UV vertexs

10059   7   1
614 posts
How do you move the Vertex in UV space? i use UV edit, and there is also UV transform, and looks they work very similar, but when i want to move a vertex, it also select the continues one, i just want to work in a particular uv shell (or island) and it select the point that are in other places too .

Attachments:
houdini-UV.jpg (15.8 KB)

8513 posts
you need to be in vertices selection mode (5) instead of points (2) to be able to manipulate individual vertices
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
614 posts
thank tamte, i was looking all over the documents on something like that, now i understand, houdini thinks of the UV as somehting diferent.

i am use to work in modo where everything is consider the same thing and you can do the same things to a poly that a vertex and even with UVs, with the same tools, hoduini have a transform for the geometry and another transform for the UVS,
thans again i will give it a try in the night .
1145 posts
No there is no separate transform tool for geometry and uv's, you just need to be specific as to what type of geometry you are selecting. So, you specifically select, primitives, edges, points, vertices, etc., and then transform them.
A node like the Uvtransform is actually just a Softtransform node that is modified slightly to automatically recognize uv's.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
614 posts
hi probbins thanks for make it clear,
taking the opportunity that you jump into the forum, i want to ask if there is a specific difference between “UV Edit” and “UV Transform”?
or just press #5 and move them and will append a edit node?

thanks
1145 posts
The primary difference is that the UVedit, and the Edit sops are not animateable.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
Staff
2540 posts
I believe Modo treats all uv's as vertex attributes where Houdini supports both point uv's and vertex uv's. This is why there is a “point” point selection mode and a “vertex” point selection mode.

If you want to move a single vertex uv, then choose the 5 vertex select option. If you want to move all the shared vertex uv's on a point, choose 2 to move the point.

In general try to use vertex uv's exclusively in Houdini. Many of the UV SOPs that generate uv's have an Automatic mode that will choose for you based on whether the primitives are closed. Always set this to vertex unless you have a real good reason to use point based uv's.
There's at least one school like the old school!
614 posts
jeff, probbins, thanks for explain how it work in houdini,

yea, when you work in modo in the UV windows it think each point as vertex and you can move individual each.

i will use edit UV then. thanks again.
  • Quick Links