divide a curve and more

11031   3   0
224 posts
Hi all,

Just getting started with Houdini and I have hit a problem. What I want to do is drawing something like a railway track, with two rail curves and lines joining the rails. Here are the steps
  • 1) Draw two curves
    2) Place equally spaces points along each curve - for example 10 points on each curve.
    3) Join the points with lines, so that curve_1 point_1 is joined to curve_2 point_1, curve_1 point_2 is joined to curve_2 point_2, etc

So here is my attempt:
    1) That bit is easy
    2) This seems harder - I tried the ‘Resample’ op, but that omits the last vertex. If I switch on ‘Maintain last vertex’ then the spacing is no longer the same for the last vertex. If I create 10 points, then I need the first and last points to be the start and end of the curve, and the curve has to be divided into 9 segments of equal length (preferably arc length). any suggestions on how to do this?
    3) Not sure how to approach this - it seems like a ‘ForEach’ op might be useful, but that needs the points split into individual groups… not too sure how to do this - any suggestions?

Thanks
    Patrick
Patrick
8525 posts
2) you can divide curve to n even segments by checking Maximum Segments and unchecking Maximum Segment Length

3) skin sop in columns mode is what you want

look at the file for 2 out of many methods how to do this

Attachments:
rails.hipnc (81.1 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
224 posts
Thanks tamte, that solved it…
Patrick
614 posts
this is one of my first attempts doing something similar