view dependent photon generation

8865   6   0
345 posts
Hi all,

In journals states it is back again starting from build 10.0.381, I can't find it though in 10.0.417. Is it one of those parameters I need to add manually?

Thanks for help.
Kuba
1002 posts
Support was added only to temporarily support backward compatibility with old 9.5 files. To use it, you'll either need an old mantra ROP from 9.5, or you will need to edit the “Rendering Engine” parameter to add the “viewphoton” menu entry.
345 posts
Hi Andrew, thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunately adding new entry to that parameter doesn't work. I tested that on mantra ROP 10.0 and 9.5. In both cases photons are not generated.
1533 posts
i tested it the other day, worked for me

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/props/mantra9_0 [sidefx.com]
search this page for vm_renderengine

jason
HOD fx and lighting @ blackginger
https://vimeo.com/jasonslabber [vimeo.com]
345 posts
Funny thing there is a typo in the view dependent photon map generation parameter name in the link you sent me. Anyway this hack does not work either. Looks photons are genereted but i3dconvert crashes whenever I load phonts via fileSOP…

What are these partilaly implememnted parameters (metropolis, irradiance caching) is it already implemented (even partialy) I keep seeing this feature in every mantra ROP property (9.0-10). I don't mind at least to try MLT in houdini
4256 posts
kuba
What are these partilaly implememnted parameters (metropolis, irradiance caching) is it already implemented (even partialy) I keep seeing this feature in every mantra ROP property (9.0-10). I don't mind at least to try MLT in houdini

Having partially implemented solutions available that don't really work is counter productive for Support.

“This doesn't work!”
“It worked for this shot but not this other one! Haaalp!”
“There aren't any docs!”

You get the idea.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
345 posts
Yeh, agree but what's the point having them mentioned in docs then?
  • Quick Links