cell shading, ink outline?

10906   14   3
47 posts
Hi all, the Cartoon SHOP and two-toned VEX look good for cell shading, but is there a way to get the ink outlines also? i thought i was clever looking for a contour shader for the camera but there doesn't appear to be anything like that
225 posts
why not comp a wren pass on top
47 posts
ok thanks, i will investigate that option
47 posts
I set the render in outputs to wren, and chose some options, but nothing happens! nothing is produced from rendering. as far as i can see it should work, but cant find any documentation :cry:
225 posts
working fine here, what options did u set?

Even renders Nurbs, that's news :?: :wink:
Edited by - Nov. 22, 2003 14:21:51
47 posts
i get about 100 lines similar to this when i do the wren render

Unknown command: ray_dbound
Unknown command: ray_raytrace
Unknown command: ray_quit

i'll check my paths and all that… thanks talkien
225 posts
Try to simplify the scene for the wren pass, all the raytrace stuff is useless to wren especially if you pass point attributes and stuff which it will try to use if available ( Cd, etc) Wren doesnt need all this info
12422 posts
mta
i get about 100 lines similar to this when i do the wren render
Unknown command: ray_dbound
Unknown command: ray_raytrace
Unknown command: ray_quit

This looks like you're using a Mantra ROP and replacing the command “mantra” with “wren”. Are you doing that?

Because if you are, you actually need to use the Wren ROP. Wren does not understand the IFD generated by the mantra ROP.

Good luck!
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
47 posts
yes that was the problem, thanks Jason ops:
47 posts
wren output seems pretty rough so i used a blur on that when composing, and overall i like the results.

Im not sure if the boxes should have all their edges inked? i tried to get that look, but no luck, what should i do about that, if anything? the answer may be in wren but ive tried the options, and found very little info on it, unsure where to go from here. level of detail seems to do nothing..

225 posts
split the edges you want wren to ink, there's some useful help in the Rendering pdf
47 posts
i just RTFM'ed and it works well - EdgeCusp SOP, thanks again !
104 posts
Try this out:

http://www.visualparadigms.com/houdini/downloads.php?type=shaders [visualparadigms.com]

(vpToon)

It's a little bit better then the standard two tone. Have not tested it fully though….

–Carlos
47 posts
hi Carlos, i tried the shader and it didnt render initially because of my default primitive geometry (worked on subd and nurbs though).

nice effect… i like the graduated blend between highlight and diffuse colour, looks like it will be possible to get a nice cartoony 3d look rather than straight cell look, which is what im aiming for.

cheers
104 posts
Cool

Would love to see something rendered with it

I may try improving it at some point… when I get time.

Cheers

–Carlos
  • Quick Links