Bone Constraints Not Contraining

4374   8   1
405 posts
Hey All,

I am still having trouble with my switchable IK so I was wondering if anyone would know why my bone constraints were not working. I even tried just entering numbers into the X Angle Min and Max and still nothing. What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

http://janis.mtsu.edu/~nesler/HoudiniScenes/FootRig_08.zip [janis.mtsu.edu]

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
7710 posts
In your InverseKin CHOP, did you set the solver to IK w/Constraints? (corollory question: did you create your bone chain using IK w/Constraints solver?)
405 posts
Hey Edward,

hummm that might be it. I can not recall. That would make total since if I did not. Going to check.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
405 posts
Yeah that was it. Too bad you just can't say add contraints. I have to redo alot of the rig now. Ugh

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

P.S. Thanks again. You come through for me probably more than anyone else. Thanks as always
7710 posts
You're welcome, Nate. Just curious, why can't you just change the solver type to be IK w/Constraints?
405 posts
Hey Edward,

Apparently no reason. lol I spent 6 hours redoing the rig only to realise that you can change to constraints in the chops. lol Only problem now is all my bone rotations are gone. It seems when I try to enter a bone rotation now it is locked and won't rotate when IK with Contraints is set in CHOPs. Is there something I need to do to fix this problem?

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Idiocy is just a diploma away. lol
405 posts
Hey Edward,

Do you not need bone rotations because you can contrain what direction they move in and thats why its disabled?

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
7710 posts
On IK chains (of any type) , the bones are controlled by the solver. So when you move the chain goal, the bones move. The bone rotations are there for IK/NoK switching. If you change the Blend parameter in the InverseKin CHOP to 0, then the bone rotations are used.
225 posts
also If you turn on the graph flag of your InverseKin chop you can see the rotation values that its controlling, The values are time sliced to speed things up but you can disable “single frame” and see the whole range, you can also fetch these rotations and do some neat stuff with them, like adding FKish lag/overshoot etc. (provided you disable IK after the fact :wink: )

The direction the solver rotates in is decided by the Rest Rotation param
  • Quick Links