Sidefx blaming Apple over Bug in Snow Leopard. Its Not Right

16115   23   3
3 posts
Are you telling me a user found a fix and sidefx couldn't? What a joke. If every other 3d app i own works and houdini dont. ITS NOT APPLES FAULT. And if it is, FIX IT!! Dont wait on them. It has to be the way houdini is written. And if they cant fix a problem having to do with permissions they cant fix anything. All I did was change permissions AND THEY CANT FIX IT? THEY BLAME APPLE FOR A PERMISSION PROBLEM? Funny, Modo, Cinema 4d or Maya didnt have that problem on SL. But I guess its apples fault. We have bee strugling with this for ever and you guys wouldnt help. Finally someone came to the rescue but it wasnt sidefx and its PATHETIC. Whayt if i had paid 8 grand for this? I will never ever buy frim sidefx again. When 10.7 arrives and breaks houdini again, they gpnna blame apple this time to? Give me all the excuses you want, but when every other app works and houdini doesnt. ITS NOT APPLES FAULT. And i loose all respect for sidefx for making u wait and wait. “Oh, sorry, your screwed, you have to wait on apple to FIX OUR SOFTWARE and that may be NEVER” Im done with sidefx, ill never use them again. This was dishonest and a shame a user found a fix before the developers did, especially when its a permission problem. ALL I DID WAS CHANGE PERMISSIONS!!! they are not smart enough to figure this out. They cant fix this without all this crap? way to really drop the ball sidefx, im done with you as well as my co-workers. if this is apples fault explain it. Explain why you cant fix this. explain why this burden is on apple to fix. If apple changed something and it broke your app than its up to you to fix it, NOT APPLE. Is sidefx for real? They never release video training. The last one was the car cloth. A company this size could do more and they dont. They are obviously lazy. How long does it take to post a new tutorial once in a while? LAZY! blaming apple, users fixing problems…..Sidefx has become another run of the mill company as far as support and honesty. This solution was SOO easy it didnt take a minute. It tells me a lot about sidefx if they cant fix, couldnt figure out what it was, and was blaming apple. And obvioulsy, it being a permission problem, isnt apple responibility to fix. They seeded the SL build to devs A LONG TIME before relase and yet you still havent found or fixed this issue Still you blame apple. Because of this im done giving money or attention to a bunch of liars, This obviously wasnt a fix we had to wait n apple to correct. Yet time and again sidefx told us We are waiting on apple to fix it. Come to find out i didnt need apple to fix anything, i just had to change permissions on a sidefx file. Ifi can go in and fix it myself WHY DO YOU NEED APPLE TO FIX ANYTHING. I fixed the issue in 10 minutes or less and you telling me you was waiting on apple to fi it for you? you couldnt figure out “hey, just change permissions”. Instead you blame apple? They are clueless and im finished with them. Im sure this post will be removed and im sure youll have some bad things to say about me, thats fine. Im still finished until someone explains to me how a permission problem i can fix on my own is apples fault and why sidefx couldnt find the fix when a user did.
27 posts
Hello Eric, Here's a use that helped me last night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8O3KIPOoWk [youtube.com]

I'm grateful to this member.
7709 posts
emeek77
ALL I DID WAS CHANGE PERMISSIONS!!! they are not smart enough to figure this out. They cant fix this without all this crap?

I think you've been misreading the forum messages. From this thread [sidefx.com], rafal noted that,
rafal
Most of the initial issues with Houdini 10.0 on Snow Leopard have been fixed, and indeed Houdini runs fairly smoothly on my iMac7,1. But, some users still seem to be having issues:

Said issues being the permission problems. No one has ever said that this was an Apple issue. All that was said is that it was an unresolved issue. The only Apple issue that I've noticed said is from this thread [sidefx.com] where we have someone still noting:
goldleaf
Yeah, I've still got the viewport flickering.

Note that clearly goldleaf has Houdini running if he's running into viewport flickering issues.
1529 posts
. . . Way too long to quote . . .

The above posting is a clear example of why we need breathalyzers attached to our terminals.

Don't drink and type kids! :wink:

G
349 posts
emeek77
apple, apple, apple

If I had a $ for every time you said apple, id be $22 better off. Maybe you should work in marketing for apple instead of ranting. :roll:
12428 posts
tldr;

Post of the year.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
320 posts
haha, post of the year!

Do the new Mac's not have an Enter key?

www.alan-warren.com
4256 posts
I actually started to read this while waiting for 2012 to start.

The movie and my reading of the post finished about the same time.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
1529 posts
Which one was a bigger disaster? :wink:

(can't wait to see 2012!)

G
710 posts
1390 posts
Alanw
haha, post of the year!
Do the new Mac's not have an Enter key?

No, they replaced it with a Caps Lock!
Staff
181 posts
By the way, we believe that the viewport flickering is fixed in today's build, 10.0.461.
3 posts
jason_iversen
tldr;

Post of the year.

Wait was rofthorax this year or last year?

Edit: Ah, you're right, he was last year.
22 posts
How can you possibly state that it is fixed, when the only time you can get the DAILY VERSION RELEASES is when you are logged in as a fourm member? It clearly hasn't been changed so non fourm writers can access the latest build and SEE the fixes! And, as emeek said, say I bought the $8000 version for my computer cluster at work for 3D modelling…now do you honestly think I am going to spend hours updating each machine on the cluster? Hell NO! Meanwhile if you got your asses together and started marketing the FIXED version, instead of sending the user on a SCAVENGER HUNT, the Houdini world at peace. Say I don't wish to join the fourms, I am STUCK WITH THE VERSION THAT DOES NOT WORK BECAUSE NO OTHER OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE! This in my opinion is BS, and should be fixed…This is rediculous. And I love how the DEVELOPERS say the latest builds work on THEIR machines…NO SHIT THEY DO! YOU MADE THE SOFTWARE! So instead, what you are saying is that it's OUR fault that it don't work! WTF is that? It is YOUR fault for NOT PROVIDING A README or SOME OTHER DOCUMENTATION ON THE SITE STATING THE PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS WITH THE MARKETED VERSIONS! I MEAN sure, I can spend HOURS upgrading a cluster of computers, or IF I KNEW ABOUT THE PERMISSIONS PROBLEM…I CAN SPEND 1 HOUR FIXING IT! BUT NO! SIDEFX DOESN'T LET THIS INFORMATION BECOME VISIBLE TO THE PUBLIC, SENDING THEM ON A SCAVENGER HUNT!!!

GET IT TOGETHER!
STOP MARKETING FAULTY PRODUCTS!
MAKE THE DAILY BUILDS PUBLICLY AVAILABLE!
INCLUDE INFORMATION ABOUT HOW TO FIX THE PERMISSIONS PROBLEMS!
STOP POINTING THE BLAME AT APPLE!
STOP POINTING THE BLAME ON THE USER!
GET YOUR ASSES TOGETHER AND FIX THE MARKETED VERSIONS!

HAVE A PLEASANT EVENING!
- 2009 MacBook Pro 15” Display, NVIDIA 9400M + 9600MGT Graphics, 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo, 500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
110 posts
Did you two even bothered to look at this page [sidefx.com], before making your “$8000” purchase?
22 posts
Ratmann
Did you two even bothered to look at this page [sidefx.com], before making your “$8000” purchase?
Yeah…FLICKERING PROBLEM WOAH! That means fud unless I have the actual application working, which it won't cause of PERMISSION PROBLEMS WHEN INSTALLED ON THE ADMINISTRATOR and ALL OTHER ACCOUNTS (Houdini 10.0.430 and the MARKETED VERSIONS all suffer from making important directories that disable access to ANY account) as seen in my YOUTUBE video…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8O3KIPOoWk [youtube.com]

10.0.430 the publicly available release of Apprentice
MARKETED meaning all bundles that require money to acquire
- 2009 MacBook Pro 15” Display, NVIDIA 9400M + 9600MGT Graphics, 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo, 500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
110 posts
Houdini_Apprentice09
Ratmann
Yeah…FLICKERING PROBLEM WOAH! That means fud unless I have the actual application working, which it won't cause of PERMISSION PROBLEMS WHEN INSTALLED ON THE ADMINISTRATOR and ALL OTHER ACCOUNTS (Houdini 10.0.430 and the MARKETED VERSIONS all suffer from making important directories that disable access to ANY account) as seen in my YOUTUBE video…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8O3KIPOoWk [youtube.com]

10.0.430 the publicly available release of Apprentice
MARKETED meaning all bundles that require money to acquire

You have some major communication problems. I don't even know what your point is, but it clearly says OSX v10.5 Leopard. You never want to go “cutting edge” on operating systems because it's always going to have compatibility issues in the real world. You always should wait a few months while everything gets ironed out so it's fully supported, if you couldn't wait and HAD to update, then that's something you have to deal with.

SESI has to cater to their clients and customers, and everything has a priority in terms of fixing and people assigned to work on something. Not to mention that this is a brand new platform for them to be working on, so things will be buggy until they get all the kinks worked out and how it actually works inside.

In short, no one will take you seriously IF YOU DECIDE TO TYPE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME AND NEVER FORMAT ANYTHING.

I say good day, sir.
22 posts
Well excuse me for expressing frustration without dropping the cuss bombs!

Now then, are you saying that SL is a COMPLETELY new platform compared to Leopard? The only thing that has changed is driver support, stability and overall OS hardware management. As Emeek stated above, all other pre SL 3D apps are golden on SL.

Communication problem? I read the information on that site, and all SideFX says is not to upgrade. Well that's great, but what if it is required due to better physics engines and ease of use? Houdini 10 has by far more presets and a better way of rendering than the 9 counterpart. However, the post still does not state HOW to fix the bugs if you did download.

We are then greeted by repetition when I say that I found a fix, and the video can be seen above. It seems weird that I can go in and force the software to work in little under 10 minutes, and yet sidefx can not simply repair it, and allow the NON FOURM USER to download a fixed copy, rather than going on a hunt for a solution. (The daily build 10.0.613 has the necessary reparations with the exception of the permissions problem). Surely to god, if they are too lazy to manipulate the installer to ensure these files remain fully read and writable, it should be easy enough to include an Automator workflow that does the exact same thing…yes all Macs will have Automator!

So in conclusion, I simply state that the people at Sidefx are focusing on tiny problems, rather than realizing that most users can't even get their software to work on SL.

As a side note, most workstations have already upgraded to SL, and with Houdini being 64 bit ready, it seemed logical to upgrade to the new version in most cases (64 bit enabling use of more RAM, better hardware management etc.) Saying that I should remain in Leopard, or stick with the Houdini 9 is BS!

I'm sure Dreamworks and other companies just adore the idea of using outdated software to meet tight deadlines. That's like giving a teenager an essay to write with a low ink pen!
Edited by - Nov. 20, 2009 22:22:49
12428 posts
Yup, you can't buy class, Ratman. I was was always told “Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.”

I think this clip is particularly relevant to this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOtEQB-9tvk [youtube.com]

…“how quickly the world owes him something he didn't know about till 10 seconds ago”..
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
Staff
1182 posts
Houdini_Apprentice09
How can you possibly state that it is fixed, when the only time you can get the DAILY VERSION RELEASES is when you are logged in as a fourm member? It clearly hasn't been changed so non fourm writers can access the latest build and SEE the fixes!

Actually if you go to this page:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&task=apprentice&Itemid=277 [sidefx.com]

you have access to the latest production build which was updated yesterday. (build 10.0.465). Of course it looks like you are registered as a forum member so you must have already tried one of these builds. Are your SL problems taken care of now or are you still having issues?

Robert

PS - Please clean up the foul language in your posts or they will be deleted.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links