Snow Leopard and Houdini good to go?

169537   162   5
27 posts
I have ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro.
22 posts
Alright so yours is IDENTICAL to mine…256 MB VRAM…perfect
- 2009 MacBook Pro 15” Display, NVIDIA 9400M + 9600MGT Graphics, 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo, 500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
22 posts
Here is the video you requested…The tutorial is embedded in video description…I apologize for the bad quality thus far, but Youtube LOTHS MOV files…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8O3KIPOoWk [youtube.com]
- 2009 MacBook Pro 15” Display, NVIDIA 9400M + 9600MGT Graphics, 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo, 500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
27 posts
Houdini_Apprentice09
Alright so yours is IDENTICAL to mine…256 MB VRAM…perfect

I've done nothing yet, as this is a little complicated for me.
22 posts
Ok…I can service it remotely if you want…Just get an app called TeamViewer and I can basically walk you through patching Houdini…All I will need is your user ID and password if you set one, or use the default provided by the app…

User ID: ### ### ###
Password: ****** or (4-character code)

That will remove needless stress from your person…
PM me the details

http://www.teamviewer.com/ [teamviewer.com]
27 posts
Good new! I have working! I don't know how to thank you for the best help service i've ever received! I just subed you're Youtube channel.

Is their any thing else I need to know?
Edited by - Nov. 15, 2009 03:14:28
27 posts
jason_iversen
No need to panic, sir.

Apprentice users aren't entitled to official support, but will still find that they will receive casual support on this forum anyway. I don't believe any providers of free/learning editions of production software will give you free software support. Side Effects care deeply about their customers, whether they're paying customers or Apprentice users.

And unfortunately I know nothing about Macs so I can't help you remove that damn app myself.

I apologize again for the blow up.
22 posts
Michaelmckeever
Good new! I have working! I don't know how to thank you for the best help service i've ever received! I just subed you're Youtube channel.

Is their any thing else I need to know?

Don't sweat it. This help will always be available for all Houdini users as well, as I am going to assume most of them are having similar technical difficulties when using Macintosh computers with Snow Leopard.

Enjoy Houdini my friend, and post some of the stuff you make.
27 posts
Thank you again.
Staff
5154 posts
The Nvidia flickering issue has been resolved in 10.0.461.
5 posts
twod
The Nvidia flickering issue has been resolved in 10.0.461.

awsome, but didn't find a download in daily yet.

can't wait :twisted:
1904 posts
Installed 461 and no more flickering. Thanks Mark!
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
22 posts
graham
Installed 461 and no more flickering. Thanks Mark!

Ok…can you please provide a download link? I would like to see if this permissions problem has been resolved…if not, I was wondering when it will be resolved, as I am going to assume many Houdini users are experiencing this problem.

Thanks
1904 posts
Go to Support -> Download and then scroll down to 10.0.461.

As for permission problems, according to the Journal they have been fixed since 10.0.417.
22 posts
graham
As for permission problems, according to the Journal they have been fixed since 10.0.417.

No sir, actually this problem still exists as of version 10.0.430 that is available on the site (hence my guide located on page 4 of this topic). I have tried the new version of Houdini and can confirm that permission problems are still there.
1904 posts
After reading the journal entry again, for both 10 and the current development version, the entry I cited was incorrect and dealt with folder permissions inside the Houdini install directory, $HFS. Obviously the fix for this issue didn't make it into the Journal. I'll try and ask one of the guys for the exact build it went in.

However, I have several builds installed with a version > 430 and they all had no issues, including today's build. If you are still having permissions problems I don't really know what else to suggest. I've installed 461 with both the GUI installer and its default options, as well as my installer script and they both result in the correct permissions.
22 posts
Well for starters, I installed 10.0.430 directly, without any of the predecessors. This is one problem, as the predecessors patch the problem, however the one available on the left hand side of the download page, does not. as for 10.0.463, so long as you have fixed the bugs with 10.0.430, it will function properly. But, if you install 10.0.463 without having any previous version of Houdini installed, or patches, then you still run into permission problems. The installer, to my knowledge, creates those directories by itself, so a simple tweak that tells it to grant full read and write access to every user, will possibly eliminate this problem.
24 posts
I resolved this by simply going to the folder and adding Adminstrator and everyone Read and Write access to the file. Afterwards, all was smooth sailing!!

Best Regards,
154 posts
Well for starters, I installed 10.0.430 directly, without any of the predecessors. This is one problem, as the predecessors patch the problem, however the one available on the left hand side of the download page, does not. as for 10.0.463, so long as you have fixed the bugs with 10.0.430, it will function properly. But, if you install 10.0.463 without having any previous version of Houdini installed, or patches, then you still run into permission problems. The installer, to my knowledge, creates those directories by itself, so a simple tweak that tells it to grant full read and write access to every user, will possibly eliminate this problem.

The installer script (as of around 10.0.436 or so) should be chown'ing and chmod'ing the applications directory to give full read permissions to everyone. If 10.0.463 still isn't working, then I will have another look. Sorry for the trouble, we thought we had this one tied up!
27 posts
I hope this works out soon.
  • Quick Links