particles to volumetrics - like fumefx and afterburn

6141   4   1
2 posts
Hey there,

I'm quite new to houdini, trying to learn as much as possible in 3 days for an effect our house wants.

I've used 3dsMax's fumefx and afterburn plugin, that just magically renders particles from pflow as volumetrics.

In houdini (9.5) I installed the FX Tools shelf and looked over the wispy and heavy smoke setups as suggested in other threads here but couldn't make sense of how to translate it over to my rather simple popnet…

I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight on how to get a very simple particle emitter to render as if it were very simple smoke? I need very smooth, solid'ish, not blobby, not noisy smoke (going for a plasma streamer look).

Thanks for your help!

edit, adding, also, the wispy fx tool is close to what I want but it won't render, all black. using 9.5.379, and just downloaded the fx tools today.
1145 posts
For something simple, try this.

Attachments:
smoke_trail.hip (273.5 KB)

“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
2 posts
ohhh yes, that's what i was trying to get, seems so simple now, lol. thank you so much!!!!

i wish the fx tools wispy smoke worked too, it seems super interesting on viewport…
128 posts
…better solution it will be a goup of volumes with attributes, sampled from particles.

Thank you!
Anything that flies
1145 posts
parakyl
ohhh yes, that's what i was trying to get, seems so simple now, lol. thank you so much!!!!

i wish the fx tools wispy smoke worked too, it seems super interesting on viewport…

Well the Wispy smoke pyro effect works fine, it's a far more thorough solution, but since it is a fluid simulation, by its nature is less directable.
It's not something to use for a real simple job. Yet if you need a real interaction with objects and fine control over the behaviour of the smoke, it's all built in.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
  • Quick Links