Ubuntu 9.1

48247   40   1
37 posts
this is what i get when i try to run houdini in a shell

/opt/hfs10.0.465/bin/houdini: line 8: /opt/hfs10.0.465/bin/houdini-bin: cannot execute binary file
/opt/hfs10.0.465/bin/houdini: line 8: /opt/hfs10.0.465/bin/houdini-bin: Success
320 posts
Have you gone through the instructions for dealing with hsvg issues? Edward posted it just above, but here it is again incase you hadn't seen it. http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=17069 [sidefx.com]

I have no direct experience with Ubuntu 9.10, but I've read a few posts of others having success after they solved this.

Also, the “cannot execute binary file” message may suggest you downloaded the wrong Houdini build. Are you sure your architecture and gcc match up?
www.alan-warren.com
7708 posts
Alanw
Also, the “cannot execute binary file” message may suggest you downloaded the wrong Houdini build. Are you sure your architecture and gcc match up?

I'm willing to bet that this is the problem. When you go download the build, make sure you're downloading the 32-bit version if you're on a 32-bit OS.
37 posts
The good news is you were right! Thank you. I feel a little silly. I'm usually pretty good at making sure of that sort of thing, but the Ubuntu selection was sitting up on top all alone and I just grabbed it without thinking.

Now for the bad news. When I run houdini my SCREEN GOES BLACK. I have to hit the power button and restart my computer. The mouse was moving around fine and I could tell it was rolling over stuff that was still active on my desktop. I have a Macbook Pro ( 32 bit ) with dual boot. I have no idea what to do.

Just for laughs I tried moving the hsvg folder out of the way as was mentioned earlier.

any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Jonah
Staff
181 posts
Jonah, for running Houdini on the Mac you need a 64bit OS.
32bit is not supported.
37 posts
I have been using houdini 9.5 on Ubuntu 8 just fine on my machine. Has this changed now?
37 posts
I'm confused. I downloaded the 32bit version of houdini 10, but you're telling me that you can't use this at all now? Can somebody confirm this for me?
110 posts
*reads the title*

Looks to say Ubuntu 9.10
Staff
181 posts
Sorry for confusing you…For your Linux boot, you can run 32bit houdini. For the Mac boot, you need to have a 64bit operating system.
2 posts
So what is the current situation on houdini 10 64-bit and ubuntu 9.10 64-bit? Does it work? I just recently built a workstation, so I am just trying to think ahead before I install anything.

Thanks.
299 posts
toenexx
So what is the current situation on houdini 10 64-bit and ubuntu 9.10 64-bit? Does it work? I just recently built a workstation, so I am just trying to think ahead before I install anything.

Thanks.

That is my setup and it works fine here except that you need to disable compiz fusion and/or emerald if you have that running, if not it hangs the whole computer.
Drive, monkey, drive!
7708 posts
Plus you need to delete “$HFS/hsvg/lib*”.
44 posts
Is it still unsafe to install 9.10 ? I am tempted to do so at least 3 times a day
7708 posts
I don't know but in general, Ubuntu 9.10 has had many reported problems (over Ubuntu 9.04) if you read around the web.
1 posts
freejonah
Now for the bad news. When I run houdini my SCREEN GOES BLACK. I have to hit the power button and restart my computer. The mouse was moving around fine and I could tell it was rolling over stuff that was still active on my desktop. I have a Macbook Pro ( 32 bit ) with dual boot. I have no idea what to do.

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I am experiencing the same problem. Just attempted to install houdini 10.0.595 on my macbook pro running ubuntu (32-bit). When it launches the screen goes black but the mouse still works, just as you describe.
Any help would be appreciated! thanks
37 posts
no, no resultion so far. I'm about to install a new houdini and try it again. I'll let you know what happens.
17 posts
I tried Houdini on Ubuntu 9 <. Generally I wasn't so happy with these versions that came with new kernels and eye kandy gnome/kde.

But all is fine on Debian Etch,Lenny, Suse 10,11.1, and Fedora 8

Compiz may be better off, distro version of Houdini should be exact, and so on
Edited by - Sept. 28, 2010 21:15:21
710 posts
FWIW, I'm running Chakra (Arch Linux + KDEmod). It took some mucking around since Arch uses a different boot procedure than most distros but Houdini runs flawlessly on it with desktop acceleration. KDEmod is basically the compiz effects integrated into KDE.
Staff
2589 posts
http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/PlatformIssues [odforce.net] could use a little of this love…
1612 posts
We're using Arch64 (rendernodes and interactive) without issues.. it works even with my favourite tiling window manager (AwesomeWM)
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
  • Quick Links