Cache manager shows weird memory used number

3480   2   1
18 posts
Hi,

I just wanted to post this first so I can decide if I should file a bug report or not.

The cache manager window shows a really weird number and besides from that I cannot increase the interactive cache used for COPs beyond 32 MB. Which makes COP context kinda useless. It will always snap back to 32 MB.
I also tried hand-editing hcomposite.prefs in my home dir to set “cache.size” to “2048” but this didn't help. It gets changed back to 32 MB upon exiting Houdini.

Also in the Compositing Settings… dialog (Edit > Compositing Settings…) if I put the “Pixel Format” to “32 bit Integer” the White Point shows the same weird number. (isn't this number the size limit for a machine word on most machines ?)

Please have a look at the attached screenshots showing the issue(s).

For my system specs:

I am using Houdini Master Non-Commercial 10.0.295 on Mac OS X:

MacPro3,1
2 x Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (PCIe x16)
VRAM: 512 MB
Cinema HD @ 1920x1200 (32bit)
Mac OS X 10.5.7

Any advice appreciated. Should I file this as a bug?

Thanks a lot for reading!

Cheers

Andre

EDIT:

Installed Houdini 10.0.295 on my MacBookPro as well. Unfortunately it shows the same symptoms. Which means that it could be tied to the OSX 10.5.7 update. Any Mac users that also experience this problem? Please speak up so we can compare hard/software. This issue will not likely make itself present unless you use COPs or look at the Cache Manager window.

Here are the stats for my MBP:

MacBookPro4,1
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
VRAM: 512 MB
Color-LCD @ 1920x1200 (32bit)
Mac OS X 10.5.7

Houdini Master Non-Commercial 10.0.295

I also installed Houdini on my Windows box running Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Windows does not show these symptoms.

If anyone knows anything about this or if you have the same symptoms please reply. Thank you!

Attachments:
comp_settings.gif (15.0 KB)
cache_manager.gif (24.9 KB)

18 posts
Ok, the ‘workaround’ (if you can even call it that) for now seems to be to increase the tile size as this is the only parameter that can increase the interactive cache size to anything beyond 32 MB.

EDIT:

Just for the record, this has been submitted and entered in SESI's bug tracking system as bug #35857.
Staff
121 posts
We believe that we have fixed this bug in build 10.0.493
Side Effects Technical Support
  • Quick Links