Using Paint node to control limit mask of Displacement?

5976   5   1
63 posts
Hi,

Is it possible to Paint using a Paint Surface Node on an object and have that paint control the Limit Mask within a Basic Displacement shader? I'm trying to paint a gradient on an object from white to black to have different levels of displacement and noise on the surface of my object. There may be a better way to do this and I welcome any suggestions.

Would I need to set some sort of attribute or can I output a texture map that I've painted and feed that that file into the “Limit Mask”?

thanks for your help.
1145 posts
At the bottom of the Paint Sop parameters you'll see a toggle to allow you to override the Colour. Turn that on and create a unique name for the painting you want to do.
Have the limit mask recognize that unique name. Use an Import Attribute vop for that.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
63 posts
Thanks for your help probbins. Would it be at all possible to show me how I can paint on this cube to control the limit mask on a basic displacement shader? I've been struggling to figure out where I would add that Import Attribute you were talking about.
Thanks!
Nick

Attachments:
paintingtest.hipnc (477.8 KB)

31 posts
Hi Nick,

I changed the displacement value in the basic displacement shader, now it takes from the “test” point attribute the mask value.

I know that painting directly the Cd attribute in your SOP context couldn't be the right way, this is a solution just for learning purpose and it gives you a fast feedback.

I hope you'll find it useful.

Cheers,

Emanuele
Edited by - Jan. 16, 2010 13:50:12

Attachments:
paintingtest_fix.hipnc (467.2 KB)

www.leleberti.com

Lead Crowd TD @ DNeg London
Hi Emanuele,

Very clever of you to add luminance control within the shader. Now I can paint different degrees of white to black to get different amounts of displacement. Thanks so much for helping me out with this. Great solution. I just tested it out on L-Systems as well to get different degrees of noise up and down the branches.

By the way, I'm very impressed by your film reel on your website. Keep up the great work!

Nick
31 posts
Hi Nick,

Glad to be useful and thanks for your compliments.

ops:
www.leleberti.com

Lead Crowd TD @ DNeg London