In how many units should I model ?

4680   6   1
58 posts
In how many units should I model ?
Hi
It's maybe strange question but I have to ask
with a reason.
In another 3D software if I model in 2 units,as 0.12, 1.45
up to 2.00 as lets say human I 2m high or 1.85,after some geometry editing and transformations the programm crash or causes creases in my models or at rendering time,or editing changes don't occure at all
The reason is that after I model in 2.00 units,model editing of
control vertexes,knots,points,weights… are in 0.009123 and that causes problems(for that metter in Animation Master or Electric Images Universe,but in no way that I critic or promote those programms )
So,I was suggested(on EI forum particulary) to model in 100's of units,i.e. in EI Modeler I model my character 200 units high,and than at editing level,changes occure in 1.5734, 0.25 or or alike,i.e. EI NURBS modeler you change knots weight,control cage weight editing,CV's ot points… or alike
And the problem are gone
Very often it is a case in weight editing,skin or alike
So,I think when animating in Houdini,i.e. animal skin,weight ,mass
deforamation or muscle simulation shouldI consider that or
Houdini adopts itself to parameter changes

Any suggestion?
Best regards,
Ben
Best regards,
Ben
1631 posts
Hey Ben,

There is no fixed unit size in Houdini. However, for models that have to been transferred to other packages, the unit size is determined by what the other packages use since that will make life easier for all involved.

If you're operating in Houdini alone, you determine what each unit is based on your preferences.

Cheers!
steven
58 posts
stevenong
Hey Ben,

There is no fixed unit size in Houdini. However, for models that have to been transferred to other packages, the unit size is determined by what the other packages use since that will make life easier for all involved.

If you're operating in Houdini alone, you determine what each unit is based on your preferences.

Cheers!
steven

Hi,Stevenong
I have model to animiate and bind skin,deform,apply some muscle force and magnet and than very small model can couse some problems
That's good news,so model can be of any size during modeling,Houdini takes care about it
And no problem of cross-posting I post anly to SESI,odForce and on 3D Buzz Houdini Online Virtual classforums( only for participiants of the class)
There is additional Houdini forum at 3D Buzz: http://www.3dbuzz.com/ [3dbuzz.com]
and than choose forum/3D Software
Best regards,
Ben
Best regards,
Ben
4140 posts
I would agree, although there are some parameters here that will make your life *much* more difficult if you choose a particularly large or small scale, such as clipping planes and pushing the boundaries of very tiny increments. It's unlikely to break anything, but you'll spend more time struggling with the interface.

Of course it depends on the scale of the project you're doing(a single character in a room or an entire city), but I think you'd be safe making a typical character several units high - that sort of ballpark. Apart from some CAD programs I think this is a typical sort of scale for any program, but really it's run more by common sense than some sort of restriction. Why would you make an ameoba 300000 units wide or an entire city 1 unit? If you examine the RMB “ladder” you can see the typical ranges that incrementing happens in so you should be able to apply a common-sense scale from that. If you're modelling to match real-world values it only makes sense to have 1 unit = 1 foot or whatever unit you choose to use. I recently did a pack of gum that I matched 1 unit = 1 centimeters, but you likely wouldn't do this with a human.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
58 posts
JColdrick
I would agree, although there are some parameters here that will make your life *much* more difficult if you choose a particularly large or small scale, such as clipping planes and pushing the boundaries of very tiny increments. It's unlikely to break anything, but you'll spend more time struggling with the interface.

Of course it depends on the scale of the project you're doing(a single character in a room or an entire city), but I think you'd be safe making a typical character several units high - that sort of ballpark. Apart from some CAD programs I think this is a typical sort of scale for any program, but really it's run more by common sense than some sort of restriction. Why would you make an ameoba 300000 units wide or an entire city 1 unit? If you examine the RMB “ladder” you can see the typical ranges that incrementing happens in so you should be able to apply a common-sense scale from that. If you're modelling to match real-world values it only makes sense to have 1 unit = 1 foot or whatever unit you choose to use. I recently did a pack of gum that I matched 1 unit = 1 centimeters, but you likely wouldn't do this with a human.

Cheers,

J.C.
Hi,Jcoldrick
And thanks alot on descriptive response.
Personally,I'm mostly interested in animating characters.
The main reson on that question regarding scale of models is, when getting model to animate,i.e. applying some muscle deform and alike as described in my previous posts,that I want to know if it's me,SW bug or just parameters settings.
I had alredy simple head model causing trouble with control cage knots weights editing in EI Modeler in NURBS mode(AM is even worse),because model was 2 units high,as human 2 m.
That was all gone with model of 200.I wanted to do deform and morph on
my head in animation part and got problem of any kind

Anyway the issue is resolve.
Best regards,
Ben
Best regards,
Ben
47 posts
the scale would also affect lighting… is that point light the power of a candle or a football stadium floodlight…

i couldnt find where to adjust the unit scale anywhere, ill check again but if its in a non-obvious place can someone let me know please

happy christmas/holidays to all !
1631 posts
Hey Mark,

Nope, there is no setting in Houdini. You determine what unit size you would like to work in & go from there.

Happy Holidays!

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links