How to make snow?

9756   7   3
1 posts
Hello this is my first post! I have mainly been playing around with the modelling taking advantage of the node system. Now it is time to test out dynamics and particles! and would like to do some snow drift models. So my question is… is it possible to find some precedents or tutorials. Or maybe someone has some advice on how to get started thanks!
48 posts
There is Snow Solver example at HDK, you may build and use it
2 posts
Hi,

I am also really interested into this issue, and I am a real rookie when it comes to Houdini. So I found the snow solver *.h file, placed in the SIM folder in toolkit. I cant seem to figure out how to use this file? Could somebody give me a hint or a explanation on how to get started with the SNOW SOLVER example?

All help is greatly appreciated

Best

Chumster
2 posts
Hi,

I am also really interested into this issue, and I am a real rookie when it comes to Houdini. So I found the snow solver *.h file, placed in the SIM folder in toolkit. I cant seem to figure out how to use this file? Could somebody give me a hint or a explanation on how to get started with the SNOW SOLVER example?

All help is greatly appreciated

Best

Chumster
Staff
121 posts
What kind of snow? Soft, fluffy flakes drifting down? Heavy snow pouring down? You can use a basic particle system to make a fall of particles that are then given a ‘snow’ shader. You might also want to use the RainSheeting tool on the FX Tool shelf to start with. You can shorten the Rain Length Factor parameter to get a more snow-like look.

Let me know if you can't find the FX tool shelf.
Side Effects Technical Support
57 posts
Jenny
You might also want to use the Rainheeting tool on the FX Tool shelf to start with. You can shorten the Rain Length Factor parameter to get a more snow-like look.

Let me know if you can't find the FX tool shelf.

I am wondering is there something similar in Apprentice HD to the Rainheeting tool?

DJ
“Nothing is just Black & White”- look at the Yin/Yang symbol
Staff
121 posts
The FX Tool Shelf can be imported into Apprentice the same way it is imported into Master or Escape

- LMB on the + button at the end of the tool shelf -> pick Download shelf
- In the popup that opens pick the FX Tools
Side Effects Technical Support
57 posts
Thanks Jenny! I'll do that when I get home to work on my Simulation for the video for the song that I am writing.
DJ
“Nothing is just Black & White”- look at the Yin/Yang symbol
  • Quick Links