Converting a mesh object to a wireframe

9917   5   4
71 posts
Hello,

I would like to convert a mesh object (in my case it is currently a sphere with a type Mesh) to a wireframe. This would be to apply a Polywire SOP to give thickness to every edges.
In other words I would like to remove all the faces and keep only the points and edges of the sphere.

How can I do that? I tried to delete selected faces but it din't work.

Thank you
Video Game Graphics TD
Staff
2540 posts
Ends SOP >>> Unroll
There's at least one school like the old school!
Staff
121 posts
You can use a Convert SOP to convert your mesh object to a polygon. Then use a Wireframe SOP or PolyWire SOP.

If you are generating the sphere in Houdini you can just change the Primitive Type parameter to a polygon.
Side Effects Technical Support
Staff
2540 posts
opps. Mised the Mesh part.

Use a Carve SOP seting First U and V to 0 and Second U and V to 1.
There's at least one school like the old school!
71 posts
Thank you for your answers.

Jeff, I tried your suggestion of using an End SOP before sending this thread. Indeed I found an example file were you used it in the thread named HyperNURBS. It didn't work at the time, very likely because my object was a mesh and not a polygon. The use of a Convert SOP mentionned by Jenny solved that and gives me exactly what I was looking for.

The description of the End node in the documentation is a bit confusing to me because parameters are based on U and V information. I guess these are topological U and V and not mapping coordinates, is that it? Are they refering to a coordinate system relative to the whole object or to each polygon of the object?

With Carve I get a wireframe only with a polygon mesh, not a mesh.
If I introduce a Convert node, are results from Carve and End the same? ie do I get curves in both cases?

Thank you also Jenny for mentioning PolyWire. It is not giving the result I want but is quite interesting.

I will continue my experimentation
Video Game Graphics TD
257 posts
Here is a more expensive way of doing it, depending on your needs, this can be useful if you want each edge to be it's own primitive.

edit: try carving (or resampeling) the output from the fuse. It gives quite a different result.

Attachments:
wireframe_01.hip (49.6 KB)

Cg Supervisor | Effects Supervisor | Expert Technical Artist at Infinity Ward
https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-claes-10a4854/ [www.linkedin.com]
  • Quick Links