Windows 7 64bit system with fresh installs

9093   12   0
2 posts
Nedd a hand I have paid for a full verions of software, had installed it earlier this year on an Windows XP Pro SPK3 32 bit version.

Just upgraded to a better workstation with fresh install of Windows Ult. 64bit and just downloaded version 11 Houdini 64 bit, but unable to get my liences installed into licence server.

Any advise welcomed.

Pierre
9 posts
I have the same problem as you. The HoudiniLicenseServer can't run.
130 posts
Hi,

I recall having same sort of problems a couple of weeks ago, when I installed Intel WiFi management software. If you happen to use not the standard Windows drivers & software for your WiFi card, but the stuff from Intel (or provided by your PC/notebook manufacturer), try uninstalling and letting Windows manage the card itself.

This unlocked the license server for me, hope it might help you too.

Cheers,
Greg
29 posts
Uhmm.. do you mean that you installed Houdini on another system? Have you returned the license (uninstall) via license manager so you can install on another system?

Max
130 posts
Hi again,

I guess I've been too vague ;-(

I meant uninstalling the Intel WiFi drivers. I did not mean swapping PCs, systems, etc - merely uninstalled the Intel WiFi drivers & mgmt software, rebooted so that Windows took over the WiFi management, and then re-installed houdini - all without touching the license.

Greg
639 posts
Hi there,

Are you guys actually able to install and run H11 with the license server (their Apprentice or commercial license) actually working?

If I attempt at Apprentice license setup, everything installed fine and license acquisition went ok, but I couldn't launch Houdini. If I attempted a regular Houdini licensing setup (and then attempt to acquire apprentice license), the sesinetd itself would crash.

This was attempted on my laptop, on custom installed win7 x64. I believe my graphics driver is nvidia 187.35… unfortunately, it's a vaio laptop and sony sucked at providing support for the latest driver for laptop older than 6mo…

last working version for me was h10…
252 posts
Does anyone know if this been addressed by Side Effects?

I would think software shouldn't need Wifi drivers to be uninstalled to allow it to work…

-Craig
130 posts
Hi,

AFAIK, they didn't address it, at least not after my note - I never found the time to re-install these bloody drivers to confirm that ithe problem I experienced was reproducible, and I don't think anybody else linked the two - it was a pure accident, that on the same day I installed H11, and I needed to use a WiFi in a public building, where the network setup was weird enough to require disabling windows drivers for a proper connection.

I can't promise, but maybe tonight or tomorrow night I can try to reinstall these drivers to confirm the source of the problem. Or maybe somebody who experienced the problem tried to play a bit with these drivers and could confirm if uninstalling them helped?

Greg
130 posts
Hi,

This is just to confirm that I have attempted a fresh install (11.0.463) on a different notebook, with Vista x86, and with an Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software.

Sesinetd.exe crashes every time I try to start the service.

I think at this stage it might be considered a reproductible bug, and should receive some attention from the Sidefx devs.

Thanks,
Greg
130 posts
Hi again,

An update. Uninstalling the Intel software did not help. It was only disabling the WiFi card in the “Device Manager” that resolved the problem.

Cheers,
Greg
42 posts
aiworks
An update. Uninstalling the Intel software did not help. It was only disabling the WiFi card in the “Device Manager” that resolved the problem.

coincidence* or not, awesome detective work!

after reinstalling:

can now run (edit 01) win32 ver on Vista 64 which previously had infinite licensing prob. ( build 460 )

(edit 02) and can now run win 64 bit version on Vista 64 which previously would install, but hkey and hmaster would crash with a seg fault. ( build 460 )

other than that, i was able to keep the AV and firewall up and i did have one set of lingering keys in the file.

peace & 42

* thanks to sesi devs for your help as well
42 posts
meant to add that installing H11 on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit is still much faster and has always worked.
7714 posts
Houdini 11.0.469 should have these problems fixed.
  • Quick Links