Shader View still BUGGY :-(

6662   7   2
130 posts
Dear Devs,

The shader view has got issues since the beginning of H11. Bugs get submitted, and the devs seem to be fixing them quickly

However, every time a new build is available, it turns out that this feature is still a bit unusable.

In the most recent build, it is enough to activate the shader view, grab a Mantra Surface material in the material gallery, and then delete the material, to crash H11 on Win7x64.

So, dear devs, please put some love into fixing the new material system and the shader view!

Huge thanks!
Greg
7715 posts
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=15603 [sidefx.com]
130 posts
Thank you, Edward.

I did not mean to disrespect the forum rules. I have already submitted the bug using one of the three options suggested.

My post above was a cry of disappointment at the way the shader view gets treated in H11. The way it is progressing right now - well…. it just does not work. It seems to be buggy enough to require a more .. pro-active review, some serious attention - not just submit-fix-submit-fix-submit-fix… cycle.

So, I'll repeat my request: dear devs, please put some love into fixing the new material system and the shader view!

Thanks again,
Greg
237 posts
I think the attitude from most experienced Houdini users is to test render and not expect the material shader ball to work… just render your own sphere.
Robert Kelly
110 posts
And hasn't it been stated before that the Shader View really isn't supported anymore?
1533 posts
yeah i't one of those things that SESI should either:
1. remove from Houdini
2. make it usable

personally iv'e not used or even tried to use them since H9 was released, so i'd just got for option 1

jason
HOD fx and lighting @ blackginger
https://vimeo.com/jasonslabber [vimeo.com]
243 posts
I think a shader view still as it's place in a 3D software.
Softimage thought it was useless when they released XSI, because they thought people would only use the render region to preview their shaders. They were wrong and finally implented it in version 6 or something after years of demands from the users. I hope Side FX won't do the same mistake.
Shader view is useful. Worst case, why don't they upgrade it so it uses the latest rendering technology. When I work on shader, I don't want to have to setup a scene with a ball just to preview my shader.

Having a shader view is a good thing. I always liked it…not perfect, but fast and efficient enough in most situations.
JR Gauthier
Character Animation & Design
www.turboatomic.com
http://www.vimeo.com/user2847970 [vimeo.com]
7715 posts
aiworks
I did not mean to disrespect the forum rules.

It's not a matter of the forum rules or not, but rather an issue if you want it fixed or not. Basically, these are user supported forums and some devs happen to drop in only from time to time. It's also very easy to miss some unread posts. So unless you have submitted a reproducible test case, there's no guarantee that anyone will ever try to fix it.
  • Quick Links