bullet time effect

7897   10   0
230 posts
How is it possible to pause a simulation as the time keep running in order to create a bullet-time effect?

I have applied a hip file where is a plate with Y+ velocity which breaks into several pieces and I want to freeze the time when the pieces are still on the air and the camera moving through them.

thanks in advance

Attachments:
break.hip (237.5 KB)

941 posts
i9089303
How is it possible to pause a simulation as the time keep running in order to create a bullet-time effect?

The simplest way I can think of is using the TimeShift SOP.
See attached.

Attachments:
break_789_mgm.hip (247.6 KB)

Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
242 posts
i9089303

I have applied a hip file where is a plate with Y+ velocity which breaks into several pieces and I want to freeze the time when the pieces are still on the air and the camera moving through them.

thanks in advance
I think it´s easier to rop out the geo and then manipulate what is being reed back in.

EDIT..
To slow.
Edited by - Sept. 14, 2010 15:45:05
230 posts
thanks a lot Mario, thats even better cause it does not just pause but slow down the movement. I like it.

Thanks again
1904 posts
I'd also most likely go the method of manipulating the simulated geometry in SOPs, but just for something slightly different there is a way you can actually “pause” a simulation.

DOPs is all about data and the simulation engine only knows about how to solve each object it processes by it's Solver data. So if you delete that data it doesn't see a need to solve it.

In the attached file I have a bunch of objects falling down. However, I decided I wanted to pause it at frame 31 and resume at frame 51. All I've done is throw down a Delete DOP and modified the activation to work during that range and to delete the Solver data from all the objects. Once frame 51 comes around the object no longer deletes that data and the simulation carries on like it never even stopped.

Attachments:
pause_simulation.hip (204.8 KB)

Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
941 posts
graham
I'd also most likely go the method of manipulating the simulated geometry in SOPs, but just for something slightly different there is a way you can actually “pause” a simulation.

That's a nice trick to keep in mind.
Thanks Graham.
Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
230 posts
thank you guys, you amazing and very helpful.
230 posts
for some reason I cant open your attached hip Graham, it gives me a fatal error (2976)

I can understand the concept but when I tried to apply it to my simulation I couldn't. I dropped down a delete node, in the dop network, at the end of the tree but I am not sure how to delete the solver data.
1904 posts
There was a bug recently the was causing files from recent builds to crash upon load in older builds. If you update to a recent build you should be able to open the file and the bug should also be fixed.

To delete the Solver data, you just need to add a Delete DOP, set the Object Group to * or whatever specific objects you want, toggle off Delete Objects and then put in Solver into Delete Data.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
230 posts
I have installed the latest production build (11.0.469). But never mind, your your latest description I managed to make it work. Thanks Graham
45 posts
Hi all,

another solution (a little less elegant) might be to use a Dynamics Chop (in Cached mode) to get simulation data and a Warp Chop to modify simulation time.

I've attached a couple of example files:

If chop isn't working go to sphere_chop -> chopnet1 -> dynamics1 -> update.
Inside the chopnet the warp_rate_channel controls the warp.

Attachments:
bullet_test_rbd_point.hipnc (141.8 KB)
bullet_test_single.hipnc (141.1 KB)

• Quick Links