ptex sampling

2262   1   1
86 posts
hi all..

I'm mapping a texture map to a sphere represented as a polygon quad mesh. If i do a UV Project using polar project and vertices it's fine. When i switch the projection to points a seam appears. I'm using texni() farther down the pipe to sample the texture for a given point so the seam is a problem. I could brute-force it by calculating the uv coordinates myself, but maybe someone knows a better way.

Of course this may be moot. Is it possible/reasonable to use ptex to avoid seams altogether? I've been poking around and got a simple demo running, but actually taking a 2D texture, projecting it onto a sphere, then exporting it as a ptex, and sampling it in VEX or via something like texni() in an expression seems like Work currently. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Just curious at this point i think.. seems like 3D Coat might be able to do it.

thanks!
I installed a skylight in my apartment… the people who live above me are furious!
- Steven Wright
86 posts
For anyone following up, Kalle-Samuli Riihikoski has done some work with 3DC and Houdini:
http://www.vimeo.com/15867403 [vimeo.com]
I installed a skylight in my apartment… the people who live above me are furious!
- Steven Wright
  • Quick Links