Question of compositing & limitations. (Apprentice ver.)

3306   2   2
1 posts
Good day to all of you I just got into Houdini and i can tell u know I'm loving it for dynamics of course I'm sure I've only scratch a small part of what this software package can do, but to the question at hand.

I have thoughts of using some of Houdini's tools to do some small effects and animations for a compositing class. So i need to know what my limitation are using Apprentice Ver. Will I be able to render out sequences with Alphas that i can composite into After Effects? I would rather not waist to much time make cool FX for not.

btw i have to use AE for this can't use Houdini's inside compositor.

Cheers
Gah! A fly landed on the sleep button–
94 posts
The only limitations are shown at this page [sidefx.com]. And if you don't mind that really little watermark, go for it !

If you want to render out sequences with an alpha channel just set an output file format that supports alpha, or render a separate alpha sequence.
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
1390 posts
Ergo
Good day to all of you I just got into Houdini and i can tell u know I'm loving it for dynamics of course I'm sure I've only scratch a small part of what this software package can do, but to the question at hand.

I have thoughts of using some of Houdini's tools to do some small effects and animations for a compositing class. So i need to know what my limitation are using Apprentice Ver. Will I be able to render out sequences with Alphas that i can composite into After Effects? I would rather not waist to much time make cool FX for not.

btw i have to use AE for this can't use Houdini's inside compositor.

Cheers

Render your images as a *.picnc format. This way you won't have any watermark whatsoever on it. Then you compose it in Halo and save result in format usable outside Houdini like png/tiff/etc.

cheers!
  • Quick Links