Houdini to Nuke - 3D

8104   4   1
28 posts
Hi,
I'm very much a beginner here so many apologies if this is a basic question

I'm not yet running Apprentice HD, I'll be buying it very shortly, so at the min I'm getting to grips with the freebie version.

I've managed to (eventually) save out single basic objects from Houdini (ie. spheres and basic shapes etc) as .obj files and import them into Nuke successfully. One issue here is that they seem to be brought into Nuke with no shaders or textures etc, just the bare bones of the shapes. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? - I'm just going into the SOP and right clicking the node then selecting ‘save geometry’.

:?:
My main question though very much relates to this same point, only difference, I'd like to know how to export the objects with their animation properties. For example, say I build a basic chimney with a particle emitter inside, resulting in a steady flow of particles flowing out of the chimney. How would I then get this into Nuke whilst maintaining all of the 3D aspects, enabling me to control it's coordinates and even MatchMove it all within Nuke? :?: The result? Hopefully the chimney, in this case, would still be animated once imported into Nuke, and I would have full control over the cameras rotation and position (exactly as I would within Houdini).

I really hope there's a way, I'm assuming there must be. I'm really excited about the possibility of MatchMoving the 3D elements from Houdini inside Nuke.

Thanks in advance.
Chaz
Staff
3455 posts
when you ‘save geometry’ you are just saving the geometry - not the shading info…
I don't know what the status of Nuke is with regard to FBX etc but that would be the only way to do it…

as for matchmoving - you might have better luck by tracking the scene in Nuke to get a camera and use proxy geometry in nuke (the built-in shapes will do) to match any geometry in the plate - then export that data as camera channels and point cloud info - then in Houdini you can animate to match that…

there are extensive help files and video tutorials about this on the Foundry's site - maybe not specific to Houdini but enough to get you started…

HTH
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
28 posts
Superb! Cannot thank you enough amigo! That sounds like a great work flow. I'm hoping Nuke's 3D tracking system is as good as Boujou's. Only one way to find out

Thanks again for your help buddy
28 posts
Just thought, I'm currently running the free version of Apprentice which (as far as I'm aware) doesn't support FBX exporting. Do you know if HD supports it?
  • Quick Links