Creating POPs with unique source geometry

2821   3   1
86 posts
I'm trying to create a large number of POP networks, each using unique source geometry. I gave it a try using the ForEach SOP to create sweep geometry using a passed-in curve and use this geometry as a POP source. In my experiment (attached) only the particles at grid point 0 flow freely. The particles at 99 also flow a bit. All of the other POPs are generating particles but after a brief surge on frame 1 they stop.

I simplified it by just creating a POP in the ForEach, but the source at grid point 0 didn't generate particles.

I'm using Houdini 11.0.504 on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04.

I'll submit a bug if someone can reproduce it.

If there is a workaround or a different approach please let me know.

Attachments:
foreach_pops_tst.hipnc (169.5 KB)

I installed a skylight in my apartment… the people who live above me are furious!
- Steven Wright
401 posts
You cannot copy POPnetworks.
I forgot the exact reason but there's a discussion somewhere on odforce explaining this. Most likely a POPnetwork being a closed context and not a SOP.

A foreachSOP is something like a fancy copySOP IMO - that's why I'd expect this approach to fail too.
this is not a science fair.
86 posts
Thanks. I looked about in the docs/tutorials before posting and didn't find a mention but it seems reasonable. I'll look at another way to do this….
I installed a skylight in my apartment… the people who live above me are furious!
- Steven Wright
86 posts
Here is example.. not guaranteed to be the best way, though.

Attachments:
foreach_geom_tst.hipnc (185.3 KB)

- Steven Wright
  • Quick Links