Autodesk acquiring Softimage - Great time for Houdini

16115   11   4
15 posts
In recent years Autodesk seems to be slipping from innovation and focuses on acquisition. The elephant is now becoming mammoth, would surely struggle to juggle its inertia and would be managing three mustangs now .

In this deal, one key step that Autodesk is taking against Houdini is the ICE environment. This can be thought of as Apple's Motion against Adobe's Swiss Army Knife AfterEffects. Now Apple's interactive Motion is giving a hard time for Aftereffects. This deal SHOULD not be underestimated. SideFX MUST wake up and still maintain its leadership as the most advanced 3D app.

I must point out what Houdini has to spend its most resources:
1. Character Animation tools: Now that Softimage's Face robot is under Autodesk's belt, Sidefx should address its Character Animation tools with a powerful interface and procedural tools at “neuron” level to render hi-fidelity skins efficiently.

2.Blazing Interactivity especially with Hardware shading: Yes, currently Houdini sucks in this in terms of Hardware shading and realtime interactivity compared to the benchmark apps. With today's project deadline, creative iterations needed, Houdini should seriously add boosters.

NOte:
Houdini DOES NOT need any more features, we uesrs can always develope it.

WHAT IS MOST NEEDED AT THIS TIME IS HOUDINI SHOULD STRENGTHEN ITS GUTS BY TAKING ADVANTAGE OF MODERN CPUS(MULITCORE, MULTITHREADING, PARALLEL PAROCESSING) AND GPUS BETTER THAN WHAT IT IS NOW.

Ofcourse, don't forget Character tools

Let Autodesk always have something before it to catch up.
Good luck Sidefx. We love you.

Solomon.
2 posts
softimage is much more general than houdini but it has no weak side unlike houdini the only problem is the softimage user group is much smaller than houdinis. If softimage was popular no one would really consider anything else accept for pure fx artist where houdini is still a bit stronger but how much?
339 posts
Softimage is great offensively but it really suffers on defense. They just don't take care of the football, you can't expect to win with that many turnovers.
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
288 posts
@_@
^_^
696 posts
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

You registered on a Houdini forum and your first post was to resurrect a 2 year old single comment thread about softimage?

There is no emoticon to express my confusion. I need something like an emoticon of an old man walking a circle around a group of people playing hackey sack.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
4140 posts
I for one welcome our new hackysack overlords…wait, am I missing the point?

Btw, Apple released a new type of phone called the iPhone - any news of a Houdini port?

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
2590 posts
JColdrick
Btw, Apple released a new type of phone called the iPhone - any news of a Houdini port?
I've heard of USB ports, Serial ports and even display ports. I didn't realize there were Houdini ports too. And the iPhone has one? Cool!
12 posts
Okay, this is really confusing to a noobie:

Which iPhone has a hacky sack app?
How do I put it into a digital asset so I wont fumble it?
Are they going to make a plugin for Softimage?
Is there a penalty for thinking the Padres are nuts for trading Adrian Gonzalez for 3 seats of a future version of Softimage?
1533 posts
mark
JColdrick
I've heard of USB ports, Serial ports and even display ports. I didn't realize there were Houdini ports too. And the iPhone has one? Cool!

yeah there is a houdini port, but i'm afraid you have to have attended
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be able to see them…
HOD fx and lighting @ blackginger
https://vimeo.com/jasonslabber [vimeo.com]
2 posts
how does softimage suffer on “defense” what exactly do you mean by that? it has great architecture, ice is incredible, great modeling tools, the animation tools are probably the best, and its integration with mental ray is pretty tight. so what does it lack?
4256 posts
BDpro
how does softimage suffer on “defense” what exactly do you mean by that? it has great architecture, ice is incredible, great modeling tools, the animation tools are probably the best, and its integration with mental ray is pretty tight. so what does it lack?

Users with a sense of humor?
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
8 posts
Users with a sense of humor?

so true.
  • Quick Links