Influence Object Skinning

6744   2   0
405 posts
Does anyone know how to do influence objects to deform a skin? You can do this in maya so I assume you can do this in Houdini also. The idea is basically that as the influence object, say a muscle, collides with the skin the skin deforms around the object. Does anyone know how to do this? Also if anyone knows how to do cloth and fur in Houdini I would be interested in knowing how or where I can get information in these areas for Houdini.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler 8)
9 posts
I don't know about influence objects much but to push skin around, use objects with metaballs in them.

Use the object merge SOP to bring them in to your object with the skin and then use the bulge SOP to push the skin around. Please make sure that the transform parameter is set to “this object” for H5.5 and for H6, just put a dot “.” in the field to indicate “this object” (if you know shell paths then . means right here and .. means one level above me).

You can simulate sliding and stuff by moving either the metaball or the skin, or both around. Only the space that the two occupy is that counts. You can push the metaball right through the surface and it will keep on pushing. The other SOP is the Magnet SOP with similar behaviour to the bulge but with more controls.

Are maya influence objects stuck to the skin? I remember hearing that you need to specify the points to affect.
405 posts
Hey,

Are maya influence objects stuck to the skin? I remember hearing that you need to specify the points to affect.

Yes they are stuck to the skin, but no you do not have to specify the points of influence you just place the object where you want it and then where ever that object collides with the skin it deforms the skin in that region.

Can you use the Magnet tool on other surfaces besides MetaBalls because my experience with metaballs in other packages was that it was very difficult to get anything much more than a ball shape with the meta balls. I am fluent in Unix and Linux so there is no need to describe shell to me for future references.

I am guessing I just apply Particles to the the surface as lines in order to do hair.

Thanks For All Your Help,
Nate Nesler
  • Quick Links