Shadow Error

3844   3   1
18 posts
Hello

I'm having a problem in Houdini 6. I'm setting up multiple lights in a scene, and some of them are set to cast shadows. But whenever more than one light is set to illuminate an object, the object doesn't receive shadows anymore.

For example, I have a modeled bed on a cube object as a floor. When I had a single light in the scene, the bed was casting shadows on the floor. But when I put another light to further illuminate the floor, the shadow disappeared.

I tried intensifying the shadow shader, and the bed's shadows that were cast on itself were intensified, but the floor still did not receive any shadows. Please help me…thanks!
1631 posts
Hi there,

Have you tried lowering the intensity of the other light? By default, a new Light has a value of 0.8 so try lowering it to 0.3 and increase the value to your liking.

Cheers!
steven
18 posts
Hello,

I tried the solution that you mentioned, and I still had the same problem. The bed object had very deep shadows appearing on itself, but the floor was still receiving no shadows. I rebuilt the scene and then the shadows were appearing on the floor. Thanks for the help anyway!
1631 posts
Hi there,

Maybe the Shadowmask parameter of the Light was set to just the bed object?

Anyway, I'm glad it's working now.

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links