Workflow: How to export a Rigid Body Simulation to max?

4488   2   2
2 posts
Hi there! I'm pretty new to houdini, and I'm facing a little problem.

I need to export a scene (or at least the main objects) with its simulation to max or XSI.

When I try to export as an FBX scene and import it in max I have de objects but no animation at all. Only if an object has been animated manually.
For more info the simulations involves a glass falling and smashing in the ground. And the glass was fractured with the shatter modifier.

And as I know that something is missing around I would like to ask you how can I get the scene with the object simulated.
Or if its posible to convert de simulation in animation for export.

I hope you can help!

thanks.
350 posts
FBX should be able to do trick. If your glass contains geometry in which the number of vertices changes over the length of your animation, it will export the file in a “hack” mode, since FBX wasn't design to support cases like these, but it should still work.

So:

1) It could be a bug in Houdini's FBX exporter. To test this, you can export your animation to FBX, and then import it back into Houdini.

2) Please make sure you use the latest FBX importer for MAX (2009.1) as well as a fairly recent Houdini version (>= 9.5.219).

3) It could also be a problem on MAX's end. From the looks of it, it's not importing vertex caches (which are frame-by-frame snapshots of the object's vertex positions, and are different from objects animated using animation curves). While I don't know the options MAX uses on import, double-check that importing vertex caches/deformations is enabled.

If these don't help, could also post your file here so I can take a closer look at it?
Oleg Samus
Software Developer
Side Effects Software Inc.
2 posts
Hi! thanks a lot for the answer. I'll try once again with thouse recomendation, and if i have no resoult i'll post the escene for inspection!!!

thanks
  • Quick Links