Using Houdini for human modeling and skinning

8077   3   1
66 posts
Hello there…

I've tried other 3D packages before, and some are more dedicated to the actual modeling workflow, others more animation centered, if you know what I mean.

How is Houdini's modeling and texturing strengths, in the setting of creating human models, skinning them, and rendering them out with Mantra to make them look, well… real?

I know that the rigging, animation and FX part is great, but that lies way in front of me, as I've just started out.

I don't want a productX vs productY discussion, just wondering if this is the right package to study, when my main objectives (for now anyway) are modeling (poly/sub-d), texturing and light/render…

Almost everywhere when Houdini is mentioned, it's like, “Oh, the FX program!”
“If your life is not NOW, you're already dead…”
From Chrizto's book of truths
46 posts
Houdini's modeling tools have been greatly improved since version 8. The addition of shelf tools has made common modeling operations much faster. The UV mapping tools in Houdini are also pretty good with quick pelting and UV stitching operations.

Though the tools are familiar you will find the modeling workflow a little different than other common packages. You will spend as much time in the network view as in the viewport at times, but having the procedural workflow and access to your modeling history at all times can get addictive.

Houdini was and still is a great FX package but great improvements have been made in other areas and things are only getting better.
1145 posts
It's definitely a different way of think, if you choose to take advantage of houdini's strengths, within modelling. If you give it a chance what you will find is a much greater opportunity to make revisions to the models that you are working on. Experimentation will be enjoyable rather than a repetitive chore and you'll get addicted to that.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
66 posts
Thanks for your replies!
I've definitely noticed some differences in the work flow compared with more “traditional” applications, but, as you both state, this is a benefit rather than a hindrance, once you get to know it.

Actually, even though my experience with 3d modeling is sparse, I'm starting to get really comfortable with the node based work flow.
“If your life is not NOW, you're already dead…”
From Chrizto's book of truths
  • Quick Links