Simple Operational Questions

3838   3   1
12 posts
First of all, I was wondering how I can create just a single point. I would like to use the Polyknit function to add onto my object, not just connect points that are already on the object. Is there a way to add a point?

Another thing I would like to know, is if there is a way to navigate the viewport while selecting. I noticed that I can't use the middle mouse button to move while I'm in selection mode. Is there a way to move and select?
1904 posts
For creating single points take a look at the Add sop. You can create points, position them, as well as connect and disconnect them.

While in the selection state you can hold down the space bar to momentarily enter the view state and move around with your camera.
Edited by - Sept. 23, 2008 16:45:25
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
1631 posts
Hi,

First of all, welcome to the forums!

For your first question, you can use a PolySplit or EdgeDivide SOP to add a point to an edge.

As for navigating while selecting, you have to hold down the Spacebar to switch to the View state which allows you to navigate.

I highly recommend going through the Houdini Help and Tutorials (under the Learning > Tutorials link above) to familiarize yourself with the interface.

Hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
12 posts
I went through the video tutorials, thanks.

As far as the add sop, I didn't see it on the shelf so I ended up having to add it. It seems to create a…box? It's called add_object1 in the network screen and going down one level it says add1. I'd really love to figure this out…I guess you could say I do a lot of “old school” modeling by creating vertices and connecting them into a face. I was overjoyed to find Polyknit but I'm just having trouble creating a vertex…or point…or whatever it is here.

I know about subdividing, but that is not what I'm trying to do.
  • Quick Links