Select Primitive, Polycap, Polyknit Questions

5743   4   0
12 posts
1. Select Primative- I have two separate models that are polygon meshes. On the first one, when I select “geometry select mode >> primitives” I can select individual faces on my shape. The second model that I try this on, selects the whole model! I do not have the “select connected geometry” or “select whole geometry” selected which is why I'm confused as to why it selects a single face on one model…then on another model it acts completely different.

2. Polycap- I wanted to cap off a cylinder that I made so I selected the edges around the hole on the cylinder and clicked “polycap”. It gives me an error saying “nothing was selected”. I tried every other selection mode…point, primitive, vertex…and nothing would allow the cylinder to cap. (p.s. the cylinder was scaled and transformed, I'm not sure if that matters. No points were deleted though)

3. Polyknit- I'm working on a character where each body part is modeled separately. I wanted to join each body part after modeling them, so I was looking for a way to do this. I tried placing the leg inside the torso's object using the “create in context” which worked fine. The leg could be joined with the torso…the only problem is that doing it this way deforms the mesh!! When the leg is copy-pasted into the torso, it scales and transforms to the size of the torso. I figured I'd try doing a polyknit of the separate objects with the leg not nested inside the torso object, and it crashed Houdini.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm running into so many problems modeling with Houdini.
12 posts
I am seriously having some major problems getting two objects connected with this program…I can't even select two points from separate shapes to get them to fuse…even though the shape is “inside” the other shape's network with “create in context” enabled…
12 posts
I'm starting to weed out a few problems I'm having. The selection and polycap ones were caused because the shapes were “mesh” instead of “poly”. I thought that mesh stood for polygon mesh :roll:

I'm still having problems connecting the shapes, and when I copy/paste them they get all deformed…
12 posts
Ok, I was playing around with Houdini and here's something I figured out. If I create a new shape inside the object, I can select points from both objects and use them!! If I copy/paste a shape, I can't select points from both shapes…it's either select the points on the copied shape, or select the points on the original shape. :?
1145 posts
From reading through you notes it appears you are getting confused with the difference between objects and their geometry; world space coordinates as opposed to geometry coordinates.

While every 3d package works the same way regarding world/geometry coordinate spaces, houdini makes a very clear distinction between the two.

If you make two separate objects, Geometry nodes in the Object editor, are independent objects. Once you go into one of the objects, to Sop space (Surface OPerations) you are in the coordinate space for that object, exclusively.

If you wish to bring in the geometry from another Geometry object, use an Object Merge sop.

The distortion you mention sounds like you have scaled you geometry at the Object (world space ) level.

To join the pieces of geometry perhaps you want to use the Cookie sop, which does boolean operations on polygons.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
  • Quick Links