Error when trying to import and use mantra etc

4941   10   1
5 posts
Hi guys, just got a copy of houdini and keep getting this error message when i try to either import a geometry or use mantra, the message is the same on both. the message reads as follows

any advice?
4140 posts
Well offhand looks like a corrupt install, permission issues, bad disk sectors or you're out of space and haven't noticed. Try a reinstall first.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
5 posts
have done, issue still resides.
I know my harddrive is fine, i have full admin on my pc and im not running any anti virus etc.
ive got 290gig space free on my harddisk aswell
4140 posts
Vista? Then I'd still say at least look at permission issues. You running vista with UAC turned off? If you flip it on and off, lots of strange things can happen because of the virtual file system UAC uses.

Try downloading another more recent release - usually there are daily releases, if you reused the same installer, perhaps there's a problem with the file(posts at sesi are all good as long as not marked red, but it's possible you have something interfering with your downloads). Don't use any ‘helpers’ or anything that might interfere with the download.

There has to be something unique about your setup since obviously lots of people are running it on windows without troubles. At this point that's all I can think of, perhaps someone else can chime in if they have a notion.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
5 posts
Cheers for the reply dude.

however i am not using vista so it cant be that. I will re-download the installer and try to see if that helps and get back to you!
Staff
3455 posts
try installing to a custom location
on windows I use
c:\Houdini
this way there are no spaces in the paths…
might help
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
5 posts
It works!
Well i also changed from a license server to apprentice license.
but im not sure if that made any difference(changed internal permissions for exploring?)

thanks guys!
i owe you all a drink
4140 posts
Uh, that *shouldn't* have to be done. Anyone have a notion why the windows install has problems with spaces? Certainly I've never seen it when using MS.

My bet is on the license server change…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7708 posts
It definitely looks like a space issue in the path. The problem though is that there shouldn't any space issues in the path. I've been installing Houdini into the c:\Program Files\etc… for the longest of times and haven't run into the problems that some people have. I suspect that their Windows installation deviates from the ones I've used in some weird way. (and I've used Houdini on everything from Windows NT 4, 2000, XP, Vista). Which version (ie. 9.X.XXX) of Houdini are you running?
5 posts
Currently using 9.5.303

It might have been the license change, but ohwell, its working now lol
7708 posts
Hmm, you don't happen to have the HFS environment variable set do you? ie. hit Winkey+R and type in cmd<enter>. Now type in echo %HFS%<enter>. What does that say?
  • Quick Links