houdini on irix 6.5.x

7101   9   2
3 posts
hi,

best regards to this wonderful 3d software who unleashes so good our creative potential …

I have an O2 SGI computer so i would like to run this software for start in the apprentice form …
the problem is i have only 5.5 version and 6.1 and the license program tells me there isn't anymore license fir these versions …
the question is if it's possible to obtain a license for these versions and if not maybe is there a version that can be licensed for the IRIX OS ?

thank you
4140 posts
No, Side Effects hasn't developed for IRIX for some time now. I don't think anyone in this business does anymore.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
94 posts
JColdrick
No, Side Effects hasn't developed for IRIX for some time now. I don't think anyone in this business does anymore.

Cheers,

J.C.

Sad, but true, for commercial Software. Blender is Open Source, and thus can be compiled on IRIX. If you don't mind a different GUI
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
509 posts
sooo nice to hear IRIX and SGI again ehehe
Even though I moved to London now and all my SGI are packet in my storage in my hometown .. I miss my colored sweet looking machines

sorry for the OT.

erm .. cheers.
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
4140 posts
Got to tell you - I miss the times occasionally, but not the single sourced, highly over-priced, client-dictating supplier business model!

No, I don't mean the Mac…<ducks>

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
3 posts
Thank you for your answers

Sorry to hear that is no longer supported.
I tought so.
Could it be considered abandonware or something else then?
I find it very difficult to understand that if i have the 5.5 version i can't get an apprentice license.
I'm sure it's very simple.
It's a matter of will.
It's a new world to me the Sgi and irix os but, hope i'm not disturbing anyone, i find it to be the best graphic and 3d platform yet.
And i worked in some other platforms for quite a while.
The word is, simply put, professional.
Thank you
94 posts
rvic
Thank you for your answers
It's a new world to me the Sgi and irix os but, hope i'm not disturbing anyone, i find it to be the best graphic and 3d platform yet.
And i worked in some other platforms for quite a while.
The word is, simply put, professional.
Thank you

Yeah !! That's true !!

Although I have only SUN hardware, I can second that !! RELIABLE HW, good operation system. Have Solaris 10 (2009) running on a Ultra-5 (FCS 1997, EOLed 2002) with 1GB RAM… Just try to run Vista or even XP on an equally old PeeC…

Well, I'm outta here now, before we start a flame war…. *hihi*
Flame wars go to usenet! (I LOVE IT)
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
4140 posts

I started on Irix back in 1987, but you need to move forward. I find the talk about the stability of Irix to be misleading - yes, it was very stable, but that's like talking about your volkswagon beetle being built tough. You need to deal with the real world in terms of availability and tools to get the job done. Irix never dealt with a *lot* of issues - that's one of the reasons it was stable, it focused on it's core market, it failed when it tried to play catchup.

Anyway, really, it's ancient history…

I find it very difficult to understand that if i have the 5.5 version i can't get an apprentice license.

The reason is simple - the license server for that version didn't have an apprentice version. The platform is no longer supported. You can get a Linux workstation that is faster than the O2 for well under $2000.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
57 posts
If you're not into Blender Realsoft 3D is still available for Irix.
3 posts
Yes, it's true
I can see your point.
Thank you for the precise answer … i didn't know 5.5 was never part of apprentice program … my appologies ..
i think i should stick with the 6.1 version, wich i find, … surprize, … to be working perfectly with the apprentice license generated for 8.2 version here on sidefx …
The matter of fact is i am working right now on it …
One more advice … if i can ask …
I have three versions … 6.1.208 and 6.1.303 and 6.5.51 …
the 6.5.51 crashes on file open and save … so it's out of the question …
But the first two … wich is the best … mean more stable … feature rich… productive … and good for learning in depth …
I find your answers proffesional too … if i may say so
Thank you
  • Quick Links