Stability issues

6744   16   1
28 posts
Hi all, I'm having some major stability issues running Apprentice HD. It doesn't crash or give me any errors it just hangs and have to force quit. I can't pin point when it occurs as it's a bit all over the place at this stage.

If any one has any advice I'd really like to try implement it before getting onto the Apprentice challenge.

I'm running an:

HP 8710W Laptop
Windows XP sp2
4Gig Ram
100Gig HD
Nvidia QuadroFX 1600M
Houdini Apprentice HD 9.5.350

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
7714 posts
On long shot, try installing a version of 9.5.344 or earlier.
28 posts
I'll give it a shot and let you know. But, shouldn't I be going up in version rather than back?

Thanks for the advice
4140 posts
It was a debugging suggestion, to see if that's the problem.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
28 posts
Cool, no worries
28 posts
Hi, i'm going to download and try Houdini 9.5.303, but what is the difference between VC7 and VC8?

Thanks
2624 posts
If you read the instructions at the top of the page in the downloads section it states

Important Information about Houdini 9.1 for 32-bit Windows:

* Recommended Build: The 32-bit Windows (VC8) build uses the Microsoft Visual C++ (MSVC) 2005 compiler and is the recommended version for most users. This version includes FBX support.
* The other 32-bit Windows (VC7) build uses the Microsoft Visual C++ (MSVC) 2003 compiler and is being made available for studios that have HDK code in their pipeline that is compiled with the VC7 compiler. This version DOES NOT include FBX support.

R
Gone fishing
28 posts
circusmonkey
If you read the instructions at the top of the page in the downloads section it states

Man that is just embarrassing, can't tell you how I cringed when I read you reply…. Thank you though
28 posts
I've tried a later and the latest daily build as well as update the graphics drivers but no luck. It appears to happen quite a lot when opening files. I've been going through the Digital Tutors training so I thought that might be playing a part but even with out anything else open it still occurs.

I guess I'll just have to try and run it on a 64bit system maybe?
7714 posts
So you're saying that 9.5.303 isn't any better?
28 posts
It might actually feel worse…
I can almost say with certainty that it appears to have issues opening and closing files. As if it's not dumping/purging what is in the scene before it opens the next one and then freezes. The Task manager says it's running though and not that it's not responding, but it is frozen.
7714 posts
How do you know it's permanently freezing, versus just taking a really long time?
28 posts
fair enough, I'll replicate the error and see how long it takes. I think the main reason I believe the system has frozen and not taking it's time is beacause usuaually the scene are tiny, like only a few primitives. I'll test and get back to you. Thanks for. Trying to help me out.
28 posts
I've done a few tests and after leaving the app for 20-30 minutes per scene it still doesn't respond.

It's weird though because the task manager says it's running and I'm able to maximize and minimize it with out any issues. The only thing is that the application shows the background of my desktop or what ever other window I had in front of it, like a screen grab.

It appears to happen specifically in two scenarios:

1 - opening news scenes after working in one for a while, no matter how small, can even be empty.

2 - Using the render region tool, doesn't happen all the time so it's luck of the draw, possibly also after working for a while though.
2624 posts
fede , no worries , did it help ? your system spec's look like they should be fine in houdini.
It's weird though because the task manager says it's running and I'm able to maximize and minimize it with out any issues. The only thing is that the application shows the background of my desktop or what ever other window I had in front of it, like a screen grab.

Maybe check the graphics card drivers /settings , if things are not refreshing on the screen .Make sure no HP effects are turned on, like all the power saving stuff as HP might have some power settings that are maybe effecting the system.
Gone fishing
1145 posts
I noticed in your basic XP specs that you haven't updated to SP3, I would recommend that you do that.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
28 posts
circusmonkey
fede , no worries , did it help ? your system spec's look like they should be fine in houdini.

Nope didn't help and I also upgraded the graphics drivers.

I just re-installed the machine two weeks ago so it shouldn't have anything wrong with it… I also am able to run C4D 11 with out any issues.

@probbins, I've upgraded to SP3 but it isn't helping.

I guess it's just one of those things.
  • Quick Links