Billowy Smoke RenderIssue in H10?

5465   5   1
35 posts
Hi,
just wondering if it is just me or if there is a different workflow needed in H10 to render a simple smoke from object scene with the billowy smoke material?

If I create a smoke from object scene in H9.5 (e.g. sphere +, smoke container + “smoke from object” (billowy smoke material get's assigned automatically)), simulate for a few frames and hit render I get pretty good looking smoke (for the fact that that's straight out of the box).

If however I do the exact same thing in Houdini10 the renders just show me a plain white box that almost acts like a bounding box of that smoke object would.

Anybody an idea?
Thanks a lot
rodpacker

Attachments:
h9N10.jpg (45.2 KB)

203 posts
I think I remember running into a problem like this when testing H10, and if I remember correctly I fixed it by deleting the fluid_interior node, but I'm not sure. Are you running the latest version?
Most of My Houdini Renders [flickr.com]
My System [evga.com]
35 posts
thanks for the reply.
Still running 10.0.233 but downloading the latest version now.

Unfortunatley I couldn't find a “fluid_interior” node. Can you point me to where it would be?

thanx
rodpacker
Staff
6196 posts
fluid_interior shows up only for liquids, not for smoke, which is why you don't see it.

That white box effect means the billowy smoke material is broken. I just tried this in the production build, 10.0.249 and it worked as expected. Please let us know if the latest build doesn't fix the issue.
2624 posts
The material works fine here on the latest build

Attachments:
smoketest_02.jpeg (8.7 KB)

Gone fishing
35 posts
@ jlait: Thanks for the info about the fluid_interior Jeff (I assume) makes sense now

Yes, I just updated and it works just fine now. Plus I was accidentally starting up the old beta build without noticing, so some errors where to expect. Maybe the install of that went slightly corrupt - not sure. All fixed now and looking sweet as usual

Thanks a lot for getting back to me all of you

cheers
rodpacker
  • Quick Links