FLUID simulations

5479   5   1
523 posts
Hello,

What is the best way to make fluid simulation ? (regarding efficiency, accuracy, speed, workflow)
Houdini or RealFlow ?

thanks,

bern
156 posts
Bern

This

is

a

Houdini

forum

!!

What

do

you

think

we

will

say

??
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
519 posts
Recipe for fluid simulation:
1) mount camera on tripod
2) aim it at a green screen
3) get bucket
4) fill bucket with water
5) place actors on stage (rubber duckies will do)
6) turn on the cam and yell action
7) throw bucket of water at duckies
8) do some post in Nuke
85 posts
If you asked the question in a more specific manner, I think the answers were different.

Talking about fluids, technically speaking you are talking about liquids and gases (i.e. compressible and non- compressible fluids). Have you ever tried doing something with gases in RealFlow? Fusion CI have, but they are “RF Gods”, to me:

http://fusioncis.com/research/smoke/?swf=smoke02_multiplecases [fusioncis.com]

What I tried wasn't that successful, so I stepped back using the Maya fluids solver for a VFX shot I had to do. This was because I know how to operate with that thing, but I also see it's very limited.

Doing so in Houdini, especiallly with the new PyroFX is way easier. I also saw a demonstration on that matter by Coen Klosters on this year's fmx, that made me think H10 is great software for doing so.

Water or liquids is a different matter. I normally prefer RealFlow for the more complicted stuff and as I am an alpha tester I can say RF5 will rock!
But I am not very experienced with Houdini but very keen on learning how things work there, but from what I have seen, there is stuff when you will be way fster with Houdini and other stuff I can barely imagine doing in Houdini and so I will keep doing that in RF.

Maya's nParticles are nice for “quick and dirty” stuff, but I think that system cannot compete at all with Houdini or RF.
325 posts
Pagefan
Recipe for fluid simulation:
1) mount camera on tripod
2) aim it at a green screen
3) get bucket
4) fill bucket with water
4.5)add pigment to the bucket of water, to save you some time chromackeying it afterwards
5) place actors on stage (rubber duckies will do)
6) turn on the cam and yell action
7) throw bucket of water at duckies
8) do some post in Nuke
I liked the Mustang
1 posts
Dear All,

I am trying to do breaking wave simulation with specific object on the beach setting.
How hemisphere ( half sphere) will create ripple effect with different size of waves and different frequency
and different thickness ( height of water).

As far as i had read the information, Houdini flip has volume and particles.

How realistic Houdini simulation can be?

Whatever i had created in Houdini can happen in real world situation?
I am trying to create actual physical object after this simulation.

So accuracy of the simulation can convince my client.

Pls kindly help answer if you have any knowleadge.

Thank you very much.

Best

Eiji
  • Quick Links