optimizing the geometry inside a tree?

4543   5   1
614 posts
is there a way to optimaize a tree in houdini, in XSI oyu can “Freez” the modeling operators,

do we have something like this in houdini to compress some nodes that we dont use or care?

i am doing a roller coster to learn Houdini, but it get to a point that take to much time to “Sweep” a geometry that has several nodes.

i put the file i am working. (It is the Rail Holder part that slows down)

Attachments:
Roller_Coster.hipnc (357.4 KB)

8514 posts
you can set the lock flag on any sop node to cache the geometry
the inputs of that sop are then ignored and cached geometry is used instead

the great advantage is that the upstream nodes do not have to be deleted, so you can unlock the node at any time to recook all the input nodes
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
156 posts
You can write the file out to disk - use a Render Output Driver SOP or File SOP to write it to disk, then use a File SOP to bring it back in. Then you dont have to cache anything. If you lock the node (the red flag second to the left on any SOP node) you are basically making that geometry part of the file which can cause file bloat. If that's not a concern then go for it.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
614 posts
what do you mean with “file bloat” that the file of Houdini will get bigger since the tree will get cook inside the file?

what is the thing that most people do in Houdini? use the file nodes?
1529 posts
When you lock a sop, you are essentially embedding the geometry data inside the .hip file – much like ‘importing’ a model in Maya or XSI.

Using a rop_geometry, and file-sop combination allows you to do the same thing (ie: freeze a tree at a certain point), but still retain small .hip files that are easier on resources…

G
614 posts
Hi Keyframe,
basicly like Exporting a XSI model, and then with the File Sop, use it as a
“Import as reference” something like that?

Thanks
  • Quick Links