LUT in MPlay: SOLVED

8538   10   0
191 posts
When I start a render from houdini (10.0.293) in mplay I get always a black image. The render region and the ipr works fine.

It took quit a while that I realized that the LUT in mplay is enabled. So disabeling the LUT brings the rendered image in the mplay. The mplay starts always with an enabled LUT

Why is that so?
Edited by - May 29, 2009 06:28:07
4140 posts
It's either been set in your mplay preferences, or more recently it could be the Edit/Color Settings popup.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
191 posts
I've checked both the mplay preference and the color settings but it seems that is not the place where I can disable the LUT
4140 posts
On the assumption you don't have a shop-wide LUT setup and you're getting this with a clean hip, I'd do a grep in my $HOME/houdini10.0 directory for your LUT name, also checking envars, whatever. It obviously has to be somewhere to find that LUT path…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
5156 posts
There have been a few changes to LUTs lately. First off, LUTs applied to the IP render window now work (they were broken before). So, you could have a LUT setup for the IP device and not have realized it until now. Try this:

1) In Edit->color settings in Houdini, clear the LUT field and set gamma to 1. Select “IP” only and click apply. Save the hip file.

2) In your ROP, check the rendering options for IP - see if there is an “MPlay Display LUT” or “Display LUT” parameter with a LUT set.

if those don't work, try removing $HOME/houdini10.0/mplay.pref and mplay.profiles files if they exist, and make sure the HOUDINI_IMAGE_DISPLAY_LUT environment variable isn't set.
1631 posts
I noticed this the other night too & somehow, the mplay.pref file saved the display LUT as “ ” which points to nothing. Deleting the mplay.pref file or removing the space between the double quotes in the file will solve the problem.

OS X 10.5.6 & Houdini 10.0.288

Cheers!
steven
191 posts
twod
There have been a few changes to LUTs lately. First off, LUTs applied to the IP render window now work (they were broken before). So, you could have a LUT setup for the IP device and not have realized it until now. Try this:

1) In Edit->color settings in Houdini, clear the LUT field and set gamma to 1. Select “IP” only and click apply. Save the hip file.

2) In your ROP, check the rendering options for IP - see if there is an “MPlay Display LUT” or “Display LUT” parameter with a LUT set.

if those don't work, try removing $HOME/houdini10.0/mplay.pref and mplay.profiles files if they exist, and make sure the HOUDINI_IMAGE_DISPLAY_LUT environment variable isn't set.

So, I have deleted the mplay.pref and mply.profiles and that worked :-)

Thanks
191 posts
twod

Hmmm, it seems that it is not working anymore. After a lot of testing I found out that there is no space between the “” in the mplay.pref. But If I render (of course I get the black magic pic….lut is enabled) and then go to the mplay's windows/desktop options/correction/default desktop lut….there is the space.

then I close houdini and check the mplay prefs ….hmmm there is no space.

this behavior is with all loaded scenes. when i start houdini fresh and make my tube and a camera and a mantra render and then render to mplay it works.

crazy!
Staff
5156 posts
There was a bug fixed with the saving of LUTs to the hipfile in 10.0.295 as well. After updating to 295, load any broken hip file, run “colorsettings -R -p -s -f -r -i -c” in the textport, and then save it again - this should fix the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience.
191 posts
twod
There was a bug fixed with the saving of LUTs to the hipfile in 10.0.295 as well. After updating to 295, load any broken hip file, run “colorsettings -R -p -s -f -r -i -c” in the textport, and then save it again - this should fix the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I've done what you said but it doesn't work. The Textport gives the right feedback with the command but the LUT is still enabled in the mplay with the strange space.

crazy enought now even if i start houdini fresh and make a scene i get the same behavior
191 posts
ok, with the actual build 295 everything works fine.

thanks to SESI and the excellent support!
  • Quick Links