Houdini is becoming slow very fast (ATI)

7704   10   1
67 posts
I have an object with 12.000 polygons and Houdini is becoming slow already. I must wait nearly 5 minutes for the context menu to show up. Is this a normal behavior?
I have a ATI-Card and Vista x64 on a AMD Opteron.
Edited by - Aug. 13, 2009 09:05:07
IMHO
Lorenz
665 posts
With out seeing the model, I would first suggest removing all attributes, and groups. If you have a massive amount of Groups this can slow things down.

cheers,
-j
67 posts
No, it's just a extrudet text with bevel booled into a beveled box. After a restart it's not that slow anymore, but still disappointing to wait 3 seconds till an edge is selected. Maybe I should mention that I come from XSI.

Attachments:
alifex-logo.hipnc (63.3 KB)

IMHO
Lorenz
8513 posts
maybe this thread can help
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=15784&highlight=ati+card [sidefx.com]
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
67 posts
Nice thought. I have changed that already, but maybe I can still tweak it a bit.
IMHO
Lorenz
67 posts
Here we go again. After considering other 3D-packages, I'm into Houdini again. But also with current ATI-driver no success, and drivers older than 8.391.7.1 don't work anyway. Even turning on software-OGL, only leads to an unreadable UI. I have the FireGL V5600. Already contacted AMD and HP, the manufacturer of my Workstation. I would really like to work with Houdini, but it's impossible.
IMHO
Lorenz
101 posts
i am always getting issues with ATI cards..no matter with software is

i recommend you never buy it again…

Maybe some user can say: ok, i have it and no problems!

but i had a lot, and more and more…
and i always found my problem is the ATI video card
67 posts
Got answer from AMD/ATI. They couldn't re-create the problem.(I think they tried not hard enough.) And they told me twice to use driver 8.44, that is certified to run with Houdini. Guess what, it's not only not working, but is worser then before. So I conclude, in their point of view the card is defect. Maybe I can refund it.
IMHO
Lorenz
101 posts
i am going to buy a nvidia card soon as possible

i am tired here of conflits and bugs with ATI

:shock:
7709 posts
Your .hipnc file was saved in the first production build of Houdini. Try downloading a daily build, like 10.0.369. While logged in, choose Support > Download and just keep scrolling down until you see it.
67 posts
The failure wasn't just in the build that I used at that time. Anyway, I have just removed the card, otherwise I would have tested it. Now I'm back to GeForce 6800 and expect a huge raise in speed.
Edit: Fool, there is no driver for Vista 64bit. But lucky me, I have on-board graphics. It's a ATI Radeon X1200. Faster, but still very slow selection. Will buy a new GeForce.
Thanks for minding.
IMHO
Lorenz
  • Quick Links