Impossible to run Houdini properly -on any machine

5279   8   1
856 posts
I simply can't run Houdini properly. I tried on 4 machines so far… The latest runs XP32SP3 and Quadro FX580 with the latest drivers.

This time, Houdini rebuilds the UI interface everytime I start it, which takes ages, and it randomly freezes (especially during saves) and I have to shut it down with the TaskManager.

What is it with Houdini? No other software behaves like this. What am I doing wrong on every single machine I get my hands on? These are clean machines, and Houdini is among the first things I install. I don't know what else I can do. Is there a recommended spec that works for certain?
--
Jobless
51 posts
The only machine I've had problems with is a MacPro which as the wrong python version, all machines with Linux has worked flawlessly. Never tried to run Houdini under windows though.

Could it be that you are using a Japanese version of windows? that it doesn't like the fonts? Just a shot in the dark.

regards
stefan
CG Supervisor - Important Looking Pirates
http://www.ilpvfx.com/ [www.ilpvfx.com]
856 posts
Yeah, maybe…I noticed a while ago that Houdini wasn't able to handle folders with Japanese names correctly.

It must be something I run on all machines. Virus scanner…firefox…something like that.
--
Jobless
856 posts
Maybe this helps the developers debugging:

If I have 2 sessions of Houdini running at the same time I can close one properly. The other one still needs to be killed in the Task Manager.

Edit:

Another clue I found today: I can File>Quit Application if I have nothing in the scene, freshly started up. As soon as I add anything I can't close the app anymore and hmaster.exe uses 100% of a virtual core on a i7.
--
Jobless
2 posts
hi, i am very new to houdini and i am also facing the same problem.

can File>Quit Application if I have nothing in the scene, freshly started up. As soon as I add anything I can't close the app anymore

also i am not getting any help displayed when i start help or example files. and when i click start here in help nothing happens. Please help…
Note: I use the latest build 295 Apprentice edition on windows XP.
6 posts
akira
hi, i am very new to houdini and i am also facing the same problem.

can File>Quit Application if I have nothing in the scene, freshly started up. As soon as I add anything I can't close the app anymore

also i am not getting any help displayed when i start help or example files. and when i click start here in help nothing happens. Please help…
Note: I use the latest build 295 Apprentice edition on windows XP.

Hi guys,first post here but i`ll give it a go.I had the same problem and then read somewhere to install straight onto my Cdrive and that worked.
Hope that helps
Cheers Ian
156 posts
the help not working is usually a firewall/virus scanner issue.

make sure you are installing as administrator.
make sure there are no spaces in the folders where you are installing Houdini
make sure there are no special characters in the folders where you are installing Houdini

try uninstalling ALL versions of Houdini, turning off your virus software, and then installing whatever Houdini versions you are running.

without more info that's the only thing I can think of at the moment.
Good luck!
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
2 posts
i disabled the antivirus and checked help in houdini but dint show up anything, so i uninstalled it and installed in C drive with the default folder houdini allots and when i start the program as usual for me it dint respond when i started help or tried to quit the application. Later i had my env variable HOUDINI_DISABLE_CONSOLE = 1 and this solved the hang issue on quit but still no help file and

Please help.

I am using Windows XP, Nod32 antivirus, Houdini 10.0.295 build, core 2 2.13 ghz, 1gb ram. nvidia 8600 GTS latest drivers.
856 posts
akira
env variable HOUDINI_DISABLE_CONSOLE = 1

This appears to have solved everything! At least on my current machine!

Amazing. Now I can open example files, render AND close the app! Wohohohooo!

--
Jobless
  • Quick Links