job

5275   7   1
45 posts
hey, i'm looking to do 3D modeling of some sort as a career, i've been doing it since i was about 13, started with cheetah 3d, then maya, now houdini, so i have good experience
the only thing i'm worried about is that my cousin did college in modeling and design trying to get a career doing movie graphics and stuff, he tried for about a year to get a job and couldnt…
how hard is it to get a career in 3d graphics for games, movies, or something like that? is there something i should be doing to prepare myself? thanks in advance
jared
2624 posts
Getting a career in any industry is not easy nowadays. I would certainly advise going to University and gaining a degree. Having a good degree will open doors for you in other areas should you choose to take a different path from modeling.

r
Gone fishing
45 posts
Ok so there's nothing really to do in high school that would set me apart from other people and maybe give me an edge on the competition?
1529 posts
Practice will set you apart.

Employers evaluate potential employees based on their demo reels – the stronger your reel, the better your chance. Continue to work at it - having a few years head start on your competition can only be a good thing.

Good luck!

G
45 posts
k thanks for the suggestions everyone, muchly appreciated
and if there's anything else you can think of please reply or pm me
jared
192 posts
Jaredky
Ok so there's nothing really to do in high school that would set me apart from other people and maybe give me an edge on the competition?

My advice is: do projects, do projects, and do projects. Every new project is a brand new set of problems to be solved, mistakes to learn from, and an extra level of comfort with cg concepts and techniques.

You'll find that if you do cg stuff for school projects, your teachers will be stoked to have something fresher than a poster to grade so you'll get cool project experience and good grades.

Also, as you do more and more projects, you'll get a reputation as “that dude who does cg”, so you'll get freelance work without even trying.

Then once you get to Uni. you'll have loads of experience under your belt and be prepared to fully rock out.

45 posts
ok thanks, i kinda wanna go to texas tec, anyone know if they have a good program for cg? i'll try googling
and thanks for all the help
412 posts
don't know much about texas schools but i believe garman teaches houdini at UTD in case you're wanting to stay in that state…

http://atec.utdallas.edu/advising/prospective-students/ [atec.utdallas.edu]
Dave Quirus
  • Quick Links