Help pages in IRIX show up as source

4089   5   1
36 posts
not sure what's happening here. When you hit the little :?: button the help window pops up displaying the source insdtead of the compiled text.

Running 6.5.20f with mozzila on an Octane.
4140 posts
I hope that's an IRIX version number, otherwise I want a copy of that Houdini!

As I recall, this has been discussed before - there was an issue in Irix with the html stuff - but I thought it was dealt with - perhaps not! It may have been one of those “mozilla on Irix” things. What version you running?

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
3455 posts
this is happening on Linux also…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
141 posts
This problem was with me as well on linux. I think I just had to update my tcsh files and I was all set. Can't remember exactly, I do recall reading about the solution somewhere either on here,odforce or the mailing list.

Edit: Found the thread. Although it pertains linux specifically, perhaps it might help you. Here's the thread. [sidefx.com]

Hope this helps,

/Rick
/Rick
36 posts
you know what? there's no mozilla directory in /opt/hfs6 I may have a go of reinstalling to see if I missed an option somewhere

@JColdrick - HaHa! No that's the IRIX version. The Houdini version is 6.0.something. I should be on 6.1 over the weekend, though.

I'm afraid I'm a csh user, so I won't be cut&pasting that code. I'm sure I can convert it easily enough. Scripts between Linux & IRIX are pretty portable. There's not a big deal of difference, after all they are both Unix after all.

I don't want to start a discussion about it, but you Linux guys should go have a go on IRIX. You may be surprised how similar it is. Not the most powerful macines in the world, but nice to get away from PC architecture dragging you down. How easy is it to get all the hardware talking to each other in Linux? I used it a few years ago and it was hell to install. Once it was up it was running well, but I had no chance of getting on the net. This was well before the days of Redhat, I'm sure It's much better now. My mother runs Redhat, guess I'll visit her and have a play on her PeeCee
4140 posts
Oh - if you're running 6.0 on Irix then yes - that may have something to do with your html code parsing. I know early versions didn't work there.

I was just teasing about the version number.

Well, I'm afraid you won't get too much of a discussion here on Irix vs Linux - I started working in the biz back in 1987 on an SGI 3130, so I'm pretty familiar with the company. Essentially their price/performance ratio has pushed them right out of the market - they seem to be moving away from the FX biz and back to their roots of military, educational and some design. If they don't go out of business first.
To add some clarification, I would argue that most Linux users and advocates in this business right now were ex-SGI users that were fed up with the price and support gouging and couldn't stomach the idea of Windows in production after having been born/bred in a unix world. I know that's me.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links