Houdini Vs Maya

4957   4   2
15 posts
Hi all i have heard alot about houdini so i decided that i would get it with all the hype of it did things for films such as The Grinch and Spiderman. I now only find out that most companies are using maya. whats the big deal with maya if houdini is meant to be the best on the market

also i have found that my university course will be on maya is their anyone who knows where i can download a copy from or does anybody have a copy that i can borrow helppppppppp will pay for of course.

thanks all
Todge
1631 posts
Hi there,

Your question has been asked before & I think the following thread might be helpful:

http://www.sidefx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598 [sidefx.com]

The same question has also been asked at odforce's forum so you might want to search for it there too.

As for your second question, are you asking where to download Maya in a Houdini forum? How could you? :twisted:

Cheers!
steven
Staff
3455 posts
the Maya 5 PLE should be out soon….you can check the alias site for more info on that…
as for your other questions, they've been asked and answered before….really it's a combination of budget, shot/show requiremants, ability of artists, etc etc…..studios don't buy/use software based on ‘is it cool?’ etc…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
3 posts
i heardf that the demo version will be coming out this fall.. good luck with that by the way. i wanted maya too whe nmy freind told me about it, then i figured out that houdini apprentice was free..so i got that instead.
Staff
3455 posts
this is a pretty big issue for people who are new to 3D, and time and time again they are told that the tools don't really matter - it's the individual artists's ability to use the tools - da Vinci drawing in the sand with a stick is still da Vinci…but for some reason few people are willing to acept this as true…of course the marketing departments of most software companies don't help, they pretty much define `lying by omision`
with all the major software companies offering a demo version it's now easy to try them all out and get a feel for their strengths - see which are better suited to your needs…just don't rely on the bizzar twist of logic that “some of Spiderman was done in Houdini > if I use Houdini I will be able to create the same level of work”.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links