Paste question

2827   4   1
245 posts
Hi community:

I thought that using paste would allow me to do something similar to copy but with the advantage of having the copied primitive scaled according to the original base surface size. So the idea is that if I have a Polygon box, use a Prim sop to change each primitive's size according to primitive number, convert the box to 6 nurbs surfaces using a convert sop, and then paste a shape onto the 6 nurbs surfaces I would get 6 pasted surfaces. But I am only getting one nurbs surface for the primitive number 0. I tried creep and ray and I get similar results–only one primitive. How can I combine the functionality of copy with the proportional sizing of paste/ray/creep? This must be something simple that I am overlooking but it's been a little while since I've gotten the chance to work in Houdini, so I'm very rusty.

Any help is appreciated,
Sincerely,
markerline
1145 posts
Well, off the top of my head I would suggest two other means of accomplishing this;

1. use the method you've described but with a for-each sop to work on each primitive in succession.

2. or a copy/stamp function and an align sop
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
245 posts
I'm trying the copy/stamp method you mentioned but for some reason even though I have stamp inputs checked it's not working. My copy sop is called copy1 and the stamp expression I'm using is stamp(“/obj/geo1/copy1”,“aligns”,.5) and the variable I am using is (($F-1)/100). I could easily clamp this so the values fall between 0 and 1. But the align is being placed between the feature surface and the left-hand input of the copy sop. I'm getting no results. Can you home me in on the specific network I should be using and where this “aligns” stamp expression should be used?

Sincerely,
markerline
245 posts
Is there a file example for the foreach sop? or a tutorial?
245 posts
Dear community poster:

Thank you so much for telling me about foreach. That works perfectly. I found a tutorial on it in the Apprentice Blog where it was used to model a patch of a soccerball and apply that modeling operation to the rest of the patches in the model. Very procedural. Very Houdini. Thanks.!!!!
  • Quick Links