Article on creating UV's

3910   6   2
295 posts
This:
http://www.freelance-animation.com/newwebpage/tutorials/uvmapping.html [freelance-animation.com]
is a really interesting way to create a UV map. Basically the author copies the chunk of geometry he wants to UV, then uses the modeling tools stretch/flatten it out, then makes a planar UV map, and then transfers that back to the original. Is this possible in Houdini? I can envision branching off of the last node, adding a bunch of edit SOPs to modify the geometry and then add a UVTexture node to get a UV map. However would this still be in effect for the main branch of the network? Is there another way?
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
1145 posts
Use the UVPelt tool and you'll be able to do the same thing but without mucking up the geometry. Using the various uv editing tools you have great control over how the uv's are managed.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
295 posts
OK, thanks. Of all the uv tools, this is the one I've had the hardest time working with. Is it the case that the uvpelt tool is intended for organic forms, as opposed to hard surface shapes, like a jet fighter?
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
8539 posts
jimc
This:
http://www.freelance-animation.com/newwebpage/tutorials/uvmapping.html [freelance-animation.com]
is a really interesting way to create a UV map. Basically the author copies the chunk of geometry he wants to UV, then uses the modeling tools stretch/flatten it out, then makes a planar UV map, and then transfers that back to the original. Is this possible in Houdini? I can envision branching off of the last node, adding a bunch of edit SOPs to modify the geometry and then add a UVTexture node to get a UV map. However would this still be in effect for the main branch of the network? Is there another way?

it is perfectly possible, even if you need to cusp some edges when modeling the flat version of your object and thus changing the point count

here is simple example file with 2 examples using the same method
1. with the same point count
2. changed point count due to edge cusp

Attachments:
copy_UVs.hipnc (139.0 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
1145 posts
Yes, the uvpelt tool is definitely for organic shapes.

This first two videos in this series should help explain the uvpelt functionality;
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=996&Itemid=132 [sidefx.com]
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
617 posts
http://www.menithings.com/main.php?action=how&how_id=7&manual=1 [menithings.com]

they way you mention was to set up a morph in a plane idea to use it as planar projection. but you needed to manually do it.

today with the new technology, modo at least my knowledge was the first on presenting a UV unwrap in the version 201 (i think, dont remeber well). that was latter adopted by Max and Maya, finally XSI with the 7.5 version. i cant tell for Houdini for how long it has it.

but with that, you don't really need to do it use that technique any more.
just UVpelt, control a polygon inside the pach you want to UV, and thats it.
7714 posts
pelos
today with the new technology, modo at least my knowledge was the first on presenting a UV unwrap in the version 201 (i think, dont remeber well). that was latter adopted by Max and Maya, finally XSI with the 7.5 version. i cant tell for Houdini for how long it has it.

I, on the other hand, can tell you how long Houdini has had it.

r44210 | xxxxxxx | 2003-07-21 20:29:08 -0400 (Mon, 21 Jul 2003) |

Draft implementation of the Pelt SOP.
  • Quick Links