Search - User list
Full Version: Creating Grass in Houdini 6
Root » Technical Discussion » Creating Grass in Houdini 6
yapofire
I have found a tutorial at:

http://www.digitalproducer.com/pages/using_houdinis_particle_system.htm [digitalproducer.com]

for creating simple grass in Houdini. The problem is I think it was written for an old version of Houdini. I am running version 6.0 and cant seem to work out how this tutorial can be related to the newer version. I have just started learning Houdini so I am sure the answer is probably simple.

Any help would be great

Thanks for your time
tallkien
You should have no trouble working the same tutorial in houdini 6. A few things might be out of sync but not too much difference. A notable exception would be Materials. Older versions had Texture operators and Material Operators. Shading is now done in SHOPS with a little help from VOPS. Tiles looked a bit different but worked the same way

If you are getting stuck at any particular place in the tutorial, post your problem, folks here will be only too glad to help.

cheers
yapofire
I am on part 4 and cant seem to set the birth object to my grid. Im assuming that in Houdini 6, source group is where i would do this? I have already set the SOP to be my grass object.

Thanks
tallkien
In the tutorial version, the Object and the sop (inside Object) were two seperate fields. In 6 you navigate directly to the sop. So you would pick /obj/Model/grid1 in the Source field

The source Group is used if you have a group sop appended to the grid and wanted to use a subset of points on the grid. In this case leave the source group field empty
yapofire
thanks that helped a lot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.