Interactive feedback in the viewport

7309   6   1
24 posts
Hey Experts

Quick question: whenever I move something in the viewport, the surface updates to the new translate-position when I stop moving the translation gizmo handle.

this is somewhat different from all the other apps that I know. if I move a piece of geometry with a handle in maya f.e., it moves instantly and interactively while I manipulate the gizmo.

houdini is more like this:
- move gizmo blindly
- snap surface to new position

this is kind of unnerving.
is there a button to switch that behaviour in the viewport?

the option “interactive mode” only seems to change the shading when I move my camera, it doesn't change this particular issue.

-elderic
Staff
181 posts
Please check the bottom right corner of houdini, and make sure that you are set to Auto Update instead of On Mouse Up or manual.
Another think to check is that you have Update Parameters Interactively
toggled on under the Edit menu.
24 posts
it was the toggle between “update on mouseup” and “auto update”.

thank you very much
-elderic
2 posts
Thank you so much for this tip. I had a hard time describing this ‘interactive viewport update’ issue to google

I almost deleted my entire preferences or worse yet, re-installed Houdini all over.
252 posts
I was also curious if the interactivity extends inside POPs.

Currently, if say I have a Force POP and change some of the noise parameters, I would have to go back to frame 1 and play the animation in order for it to cook and see the results.

Is there a way to interactively see my adjustments in the viewport at say frame 50 without going back to frame 1 every time?

Thanks,
Jeff
Staff
5156 posts
There is a little brain icon to the right of and under the playbar. RMB click that and select “Reset Simulations”.
252 posts
Awesome! thanks for that, I guess that will do.. I've attached it to my “F5” hotkey.
  • Quick Links