Particle Events from input Surfaces

3684   3   1
7 posts
Hi there -

I've been happily whisked back into the world of houdini and familiarizing myself with a lot of the new elements and approaches to things. I'm working on a POP system and I have an input surface with various attributes defined and I want to birth particles off the surface based on the attribute hitting a specific threshold. I was trying the Event POP but that seems to be based on particles “doing things” rather than an input surface. How would I go about birthing particles based on this threshold in a POP?

Cheers, Colin.
225 posts
Edit// Ignore what I posted earlier, it doesn't work

you could use something like this
if (ch(“../../attribcreate1/value1”)>=5,1,0)
in either activation field of the source pop, assuming you're using PopNetwork to create the particles
7 posts
Well - I was able to get it to work to %80 of what I want to do. I just used the Group SOP and used an expression to create a point group, then emited randomly from said point group in the source POP. It seems to work alright for what I am doing though it's annoying that it's just coming from the points rather than the surface. If anyone has a solution for the surface that would be great. I'm not to keen on the idea of just subdividing.

cheers, Colin
225 posts
are'nt you able to use surface random in the source pop? think you might need a primitive group instead
  • Quick Links