how to apply a VOPsurface on an ocean?

5225   10   0
14 posts
Hi everybody !

I have made an ocean with a grid and trying to texture it BUT when I apply the texture on (VOPsurface) the render of the ocean is white, why? I have modified the color thanks to a “ligthing model”, it should be blue.. .

Thanks for answering
14 posts
an image to illustrate the problem

[img694.imageshack.us]
8535 posts
the VOP surface renders white whenewer there is error during compilation
so ensure you have no error, you can try press Force Compile on VOPsurface node
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
14 posts
Thank you for answering !
What is a compilation error? I don't have any red or black/yellow node.. .
I have tried to press Force Compile but no changes :?
8535 posts
then maybe some scene with example of your problem will help us investigate
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
14 posts
I had view some exemples/tutorials, it works but not on my scene and I don't know what is wrong.. . :cry:
8535 posts
i meant if you can post here some example file showing your problem
or just describe your problem a little bit more, or some picture of your VOP network might help

it's difficult for us to imagine what might be wrong without some info of your setup. Therefore your file with a little description of what you want and what is wrong would be the best for us to help you. If you cannot share your file then any file with the same problem might help.

it still seems to me like some error in VOP surface SHOP. It can happen very easily
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
14 posts
Sorry for the misunderstood ! Yes I understand it isnt easy to resolve the problem without seeing the whole scene. Well, not quite easy to explain or discribe, i don't have a very good english (technical words, etc) but I have hadded in attachment an exemple file showing my problem, it might be the solution

Attachments:
ocean_unwork.hip (1.3 MB)

8535 posts
your lights are at intensity of 10 which is just too much making everything white
you have 2 lights at this value
also keep in mind that turning off the display flag on the light object will not turn off the light for rendering
to do so you must uncheck Light Enabled parameter on the light
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
242 posts
Have a look at your light intensity settings starting with your distantlight_fill.

Edit..
Oooops writing to slow.
14 posts
Thank you!!
The hight intensity was for a test and I forgotten to change the value after.. .
ops:

I've got an other question, I have a texture, a basic liquid found on the library, it work pretty well on the drops but the same texture applied on the ocean don't look the same (that's why I'm trying a VOPsurface), why? Moreover the waves don't appear on the render, why?

[img690.imageshack.us]
  • Quick Links