[RESOLVED] Parenting objects like joints

3045   4   0
25 posts
hi,

I know I have a lot of question, but I'm working with bones and there is a lot of stuff I want to do but I'm not sure it's possible or really easy.

I see that when you parent two bones, the child goes automaticaly to the end of the parent (except if using the “keep posiiton when parenting”). I was wondering if we can do the same with others objects like for exemple a line or a sphere.

For exemple I got two lines with length L1 et L2. I want the line l2 to go at the end of the first one and staying at the end if I change the length of l2….
I know I can do it if I just translate the line l2 corresponding to the length of l1, but I want an automatic way to do it…

Maybe looking for the parent attribut length…
But I cannot figure how to do it…

thanks for your ideas,
I really like this community.

I hope I will be helpfull for you soon
Edited by - June 1, 2010 15:55:20
7710 posts
Only Bones have that type of ability. For other object types, you can set the translate and then Clean the Pre-Transform.
25 posts
alright thank you,

And is there a way to do that automaticaly…
like an expression to access an attribute from the parent node…

I could do it if I specify for each node the name of is parent,
then I could use a fetch node to get the parenting informations and some expression to access parent attributs.
But I'm looking for a better way to do that, using the fact that the node are connected.

I see some python script to retrieve parent of a node, but I don't know how I can make this kind of script to be evaluated each time the parent attribut change and/or each time the parent change.
8532 posts
here is a simple example
it's using opinputpath() expression and custom Length parameter on parent node

Attachments:
get_parent_length.hip (68.5 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
25 posts
Thats perfect…

exactly what I needed…
I will remember that function for sure.

thank you so much

All the time it's the same. I know what I want and I'm pretty sure there is an easy way to do it. But finding that way is not easy.
  • Quick Links