CY versus PT

10579   3   2
9 posts
I am working to have a better understanding of copy stamping. I made two variables in the copy, one for PT and one for CY. so im trying to use the CY to transform the geometry upstream from the copy using the stamp function. It works with PT but not with CY. so I dont fully understand why CY doesnt also work in this context. Its more a question of learning how to use CY than it is to achieve a desired result. I would expect CY to generate a number that is the same as PT?

I have made a simple file to describe the issue.

Thanks,

Bradon.

Attachments:
Copy_PT_CY.hipnc (41.6 KB)

8531 posts
$CY and $PT are completely different
$CY contains the copy number if you use Copy SOP's Number Of Copies parameter
$PT contains the number of the point the object is currently copied onto

in your example unbypass xform_CY and set Number Of Copies parameter on Copy2 to 5 for example
hopefully it'll make clearer how $CY differs from $PT

(you can unbypass both transforms and play with that parameter to see that they can be combined)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
9 posts
ah ok i see now… CY is only IF i use a number other than 1 in the number of copies. If I have an input geometry piped into the right side of copy each copy is still only 1 copy.

what i thought was happening was when driving the copy with an input geo each duplicated copy was going to also receive a unique CY value even if the number of copy was set to only one. but thats not the case. one copy is still one copy, (and CY starts with 0) even if im using a geo to replicate many times.

Thanks.. very helpfull.
Staff
2540 posts
All the local variables are documented in the Copy SOP's help card. There are other handy local variables that you should become familiar with as well.

There are also a couple examples in the Copy SOP help card. Scroll to the bottom and load in the examples.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links