Linux install possible on laptop with out iNet connection?

5116   8   1
5 posts
Hello everyone.

I've installed houdini on Redhat 9. I've searched on this forum and followed the advice in many threads. Here's what I'm doing:

I go into the installation directory.
Export the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL variable with a value of 2.4.1
Run hkey.

Hkey is unable to contact the server.

Using “ps -A”, I see that I do have one process of sesinetd running.
“sesctrl -i” cannot connect to the server.

Following the examples in many threads, I've modified my /etc/hosts file to something like:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.0.1 keith

And as in one thread, someone had also modified /etc/sysconfig/network (or so) to refer to what is on the second line (it was blackdown, so I made mine keith, my name)

In all other threads, the person had a valid internet connection and so an ip. I'm a bit new to linux, though not afraid to try anything, so please help me with this problem.

I do have a server code. I've tried changing the server name in the licence manager.

“ping localhost” says that the network is down.
“netstat -rn” shows no connections.
“ifup eth0” gives me an error about being unable to start the device.

My network setup tools in redhat, launched from the kde menu, do not seem to be functioning and I do not know the command line equivalents. I do not know any way to ensure if the ethernet card which I have, is detected. I'll try checking the boot time messages as soon as I have a chance.

Please help.
225 posts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.0.1 keith

192.168.0.1 keith
5 posts
Nope. That doesn't work. Is that IP a loop back as well?

Is there more information I should provide?
225 posts
thats your static IP

you should not install houdini against a loopback

not sure I can be of more help, could be anything
5 posts
But I don't have a static nor a dynamic ip (will 0.0.0.0 work?) because the laptop is never connected to the internet.
225 posts
what you set against keith will be your static lan ip for eth0. Your ip for connecting to the internet (ppp0) will most probably be provided dynamically by your service provider unless you have isdn i think. you need to set eth0 to anything other than 127.0.0.1(reserved for loopback)

If possible get on a #linux irc channel, those guys will know what to ask you and give you tips on what to fix then and there

Try reinstalling the networking components
5 posts
But if this laptop is never connected to the internet, does that mean I can't use houdini because I never have an ip automatically assigned to me?

Since I'm typing this out at uni and the laptop is all the way back in my hostel, it's not possible to use the irc advantages.

I'll try reinstalling my network components.
1631 posts
Hi Keith,

Please make sure you install the drivers for the NIC as it is necessary for the installation of Houdini on Linux. If the machine is not connected to the net, you will have to go to the following site [license.sidefx.com] to get the Apprentice keys, save them on a diskette or print them out & perform a manual installation of the keys through the Houdini License Administrator or “hkey”. I would recommend saving the keys onto a diskette or similar device & copy & paste the keys to reduce errors.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
5 posts
Thanks for the replies. I finally got it sorted out.

Turns out my ethernet card was not being configured properly.

I had to run the following commands to get it up and running - found from the networking howto

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -host 127.0.0.1 lo

And now, what tallkien said makes sense.

Hopefully this will help anyone in the same spot.
  • Quick Links