op: syntax no longer works?

7444   6   1
319 posts
Hello,

I remember back in Houdini 8 many a time using the ‘op:’ syntax to reference a cop node for use as a texture map in a shader. I recently tried to do this in Houdini 10.0.254 (linux), and at first it appears to still work as the shader display picks up the COP and displays it, but when trying to render my shell spits out a bunch of errors, telling me “Application doesn't support input redirection” and I get a black render.

Has the op: command been retired?

Thanks!

Dean.
1904 posts
I could be wrong, but as I recall there are limitations when using op: for rendering. As I recall if you render normally on your local machine (without first going out to IFDs) it should work fine but when you spit out IFDs then Mantra has no idea what it's looking for because it has no idea about all the operators, etc. I'm probably totally wrong though since I hardly ever do any rendering.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
319 posts
Lol.

I have a recollection of doing this back in Houdini 8, but I can't remember if I was doing it locally or not. Although in this instance I was rendering locally and the error occurred.

If the op: method is not longer viable, how do I use a COP node as a texture map? Or am I forced to write out the image(s)?

Thanks!
319 posts
I just realized who you are! Hahaha!
Hinanoes tomo?!
1904 posts
Yeah I figured I'd be wrong since I'm not at home to actually test my theory.

There can only be one me and I'll definitely be there tomorrow.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
319 posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet
941 posts
Unless things have changed, I don't think the “op:” syntax will work in a SHOP parameter – there's no “local” or “remote” distinction going on that I know of. The scene format is always an IFD.
…but I could be wrong.
Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
  • Quick Links